Thread: Need some help in a Flash...

Default Need some help in a Flash...

Hey guys I need some help in a Flash MX thing I' working on here. Has anyone here been working with Flash MX? Well here is my dilemma:

When I was using Flash 5, I am almost positive that I used a technique similar to HotSpots in HTML. I have a Graphic (or button) symbol and there are rectangular areas that I want to make HotSpots... i.e. I want them to be clickable and perform a GetURL for me.

I have searched and so far am unable to figure this out. I am about to go back to basics and also go thru some PDFs or something to see if I can find out how to do this.

I am really trying to avoid going back and making this graphic multiple symbols to stitch together, so your help is really appreciated. Thanks.

L8r

Default Re:Need some help in a Flash...

I may not be able to help you with your immediate Flash MX problem, but I will suggest that you take a look at SWiSH 2.0 (www.swishzone.com). SWiSH allows you to make Flash animation easily. To quote their site: "SWiSH2 is the ultimate Flash™ creation tool. SWiSH2 has all the power you need to create professional Flash animations in a fraction of the time it takes with other programs."

Yes Flash MX is more powerful and more expensive but if all you want is simple flash animation then this is a product you should consider. When I'm ready to climb that Flash MX curve I'll learn it, until then I'll just SWiSH away ;D

Hey thanks. I figured out how to get it done.

I'm now looking for some help with some ActionScript help... I'm trying to make some arrow buttons control the location of a graphic.

I'm gonna go tackle that now and check out this program, I think I've heard of it b4, but had just dismissed it as a simple thing, lemme actually look at it tho'.

Thanks again.
    L8r

Using Action script to detect X:Y positions - hehe - good luck - check out Xhanubis Playground to find a Fla example

[quote author=Vermanucci link=board=10;threadid=144;start=0#822 date=1032402136]
    Using Action script to detect X:Y positions - hehe - good luck - check out Xhanubis Playground to find a Fla example
    [/quote]

I did a search, but couldn't find any help out of where it led me. If you do run up on any decent tutorials, please lemme know. Thanks.

L8r

on your first q.. for those who may see this thread.

1 import your pic
    2 create a new layer above the layer with your pic
    3 use a drawing tool to draw the area you want to be a button (we'll call it "button" )
    4 select the button (dbl click to select fill and line) and hit F8 (convert to symbol shortcut)
    5 select button from radio menu
    6 dbl click on newly created symbol - that will take you to the "edit in place" option
    7 your timeline has now changed and the frames you see are up/over/down/hit
    for the record - up: your button's default state
    - over: how your button looks when the mouse is over it
    - down: button when clicked
    - hit: the accepted area where your button will be active
    8 right click on the over frame and select insert key frame - a duplicate of what is in up is inserted
    9 rept step8 for the down and hit frames
    10 come back to your movie (easy way: dbl click anywhere on the stage that your button doesn't
    occupy)
    11 click your button, then look down at the properties bar
    12 in the color drop down select alpha
    13 Flash MX defaults alpha to 0
    14 you have your transparent button which can be put anywhere you want and it'll function like a
    hotspot

estimated time for completion: 5 mins. (usually less)

on your second q...

I need a little more info...

but from what you say.. it'll take 4 buttons, a movie clip and less than 10 lines of code.

You noted you had flash 5... take a look at the help section there... there's also a tutorial in Flash MX... look at the Actionscript tutorial.

depending on what you definately want the x:y coords... with a simple onpress x=x+1 type o thing might work as well.

If the in program tuts don't help send another post with exactly what you'd like to do and I'll see if I can help.

bless

7 your timeline has now changed and the frames you see are up/over/down/hit
    for the record - up: your button's default state
    - over: how your button looks when the mouse is over it
    - down: button when clicked
    - hit: the accepted area where your button will be active

yes - create a button as GodKid said but in step 7 don't add anything to the up, down or over frames. (leave them blank, just add the shape to the "hit" frame).

You'll notice that button will be kinda blue. It's this way so that you can actually see it and move it around but it won't be seen on the screen.

This way you don't have to actually see the button. Then all you have to do is add the actioscript actions and that should solve your problem.

I must say... I'm impressed at the level of flash knowledge in this forum.

Hey Owen,

That's right.. I actually forgot that method ... that is the best way to do it.