Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSB: Integrated into chip VS 1GHz FSB

Talking FSB: Integrated into chip VS 1GHz FSB

I was wondering, I was looking at the AMD Athlon 64 3500 and the 3700 besides the clock speeds (which I can overclock to anyway is the FSB the 3500 has the FSB "integrated into chip" and the 3700 has 1GHZ FSB.
    i like to know is there a real performance different or the integrated fsb is better.

thank
    Video Game Technician in Jamaica 3968609
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

can nobody tell which is better, i search google and cannot get a good answer on it
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

if you're looking at Newegg, the best thing to do is ignore it.

AMD's 64 bit processor family dont have FSB's since they have integrated memory controllers. so the 1000mhz thing you see is the HyperTransport link it has with its memory controller. (200 x multiplier of 5)

dont sweat it

i know that but my hell they change from integrated FSB to 1GHZ FSB and the prices are different thinking that AMD change the 64's FSB

but both the socket 754 and 939 have thier memory controllers integrated, and an HTT link instead of an FSB.....

Question: This sounds like a very very good thing to have the memory controllers integrated. Is this one of the things that put AMD above P4. Or does P4 have this setup too??
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

yes it is zro since it removes the latencies between memory, northbride and processor by now going from memory straight to processor, and no, intel doesn't currently use this technique in their p4 line. AMD is now looking to integrate the pci-e bus in their next line of processors to further reduce latencies which is why there will be a new socket with a higher pin count.
    Last edited by BlaqMale; Jul 24, 2005 at 04:12 PM.

Ok, this method makes nuff nuff sense. But why isn't Intel doing something similar. The buses in the system have always been a bottleneck adding to the already slow hD and other devices compared to processing power.

Is there a similar thing that Intel has in development??
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

with all this said, can we have a moment of silence of intel processors, ........................
    .................................................. .................................................. ...................
    .................................................. .................................................. ...................
    ok moment over, rest in peace intel

intel cpu support DDR2 memory AMD don't so that kind a kill some of the bottleneck, but Amd will support DDR 2 memory soon in their next 64 cpu's