Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VB project

Default Re:VB project

Kid, just go for the grade. I'm not the one telling you this but the simpler project is most likely the only feasable one. Implementing the other features listed will run you a few hundred US$ in hardware costs, do you wanna sink that on a measly A?

Fact of the matter is, such an advanced project is more suited for a final project of the Masters in IS programme at UWI. I'm saying this from experience.

[quote author=pheonix link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=15#msg14122 date=1060318507]
    now i am feeling bad. i want a grade but i wanna know more. i dont really like programming but i am good.

i am thinking about it....... ???
    [/quote]
    If you do not like programming as most people I know in IT seem to hate the thing, then go for the simple taxi software or any other simple project. Simplicity can often be a beacon of enlightenment. Simplicity of design often belies a SOPHISTICATED mechanism.

Take the MAC for instance, or the iPOD... they are simple in design, but.... loaded with sophistication.
    Compare that with a PC running windows (any version) brutishly complex and only marginally sophisticated.

Either way WHAT YOU LEARN IS MOST IMPORTANT and it in turn will ensure a good grade, PROVIDED that it is RELEVANT to your courses.

--old man
    Gillion

that is a good idea....simple is sometimes better

[quote author=pheonix link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=15#msg14122 date=1060318507]i dont really like programming but i am good.
    [/quote]

???

u dont understand what i mean owen????

[quote author=CKnight link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=0#msg13783 date=1060016019]
    Let's see....features....

Basics:

-Register of all taxis currently in operation including current vehicle, etc.

-Database of all trips made and a running total for that day. Could also include accounts to keep tabs on how much an operator has made thus far.

-Keep a running table on all taxis' current destinations and origins.

Anvanced:

-Digitized map of Jamaica.

-Automatic "Recommended Dispatch" mechanism that would display the best taxi to deploy based on current location, direction and load.

-Some implementation of a Weighted Graph data structure to calculate shortest paths to relay to taxi operator when being dispatched.

-Some of the features above would only work if you're getting accurate and timely feedback from the operators, with this in mind, it would be good if the application could interface with a GSM/GPS device that are used by some business' that manage fleets of vehicles. These devices can be programmed to receive updates via SMS or voice from an accompanying device on each vehicle and report things such as current location, direction, etc. If you're application came ready to interface with something like that, then you'd have something ready to sell.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of. See what you can throw together.
    [/quote]

this type of application is outside the scope of what this guy can do. You would need a company/tem with at least 10 people to pull this off.

igodit Guest

I heard that Jamaica was to get a GPS map done up for the island but the goverment didn't want to pay the millions of dollars for it.

Guess it would have taken too much out of the budget for the their pets, hired help and private drivers... and we can't have that.

[quote author=igodit link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=15#msg18421 date=1064239086]
    Guess it would have taken too much out of the budget for the their pets, hired help and private drivers... and we can't have that.
    [/quote]

- LOL! ;D

now THAT's funny! ;D