Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VB project

Default Re:VB project

[quote author=pheonix link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=0#msg13693 date=1059927705]
    "Jamaican ROAD map appplication that can be used by taxi dispatcher's at taxi companies"

i like this one. tell me more. what features would it have?
    [/quote]

Let's see....features....

Basics:

-Register of all taxis currently in operation including current vehicle, etc.

-Database of all trips made and a running total for that day. Could also include accounts to keep tabs on how much an operator has made thus far.

-Keep a running table on all taxis' current destinations and origins.

Anvanced:

-Digitized map of Jamaica.

-Automatic "Recommended Dispatch" mechanism that would display the best taxi to deploy based on current location, direction and load.

-Some implementation of a Weighted Graph data structure to calculate shortest paths to relay to taxi operator when being dispatched.

-Some of the features above would only work if you're getting accurate and timely feedback from the operators, with this in mind, it would be good if the application could interface with a GSM/GPS device that are used by some business' that manage fleets of vehicles. These devices can be programmed to receive updates via SMS or voice from an accompanying device on each vehicle and report things such as current location, direction, etc. If you're application came ready to interface with something like that, then you'd have something ready to sell.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of. See what you can throw together.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=0#msg13783 date=1060016019]
    Let's see....features....

Basics:

-Register of all taxis currently in operation including current vehicle, etc.

-Database of all trips made and a running total for that day. Could also include accounts to keep tabs on how much an operator has made thus far.

-Keep a running table on all taxis' current destinations and origins.

Anvanced:

-Digitized map of Jamaica.

-Automatic "Recommended Dispatch" mechanism that would display the best taxi to deploy based on current location, direction and load.

-Some implementation of a Weighted Graph data structure to calculate shortest paths to relay to taxi operator when being dispatched.

-Some of the features above would only work if you're getting accurate and timely feedback from the operators, with this in mind, it would be good if the application could interface with a GSM/GPS device that are used by some business' that manage fleets of vehicles. These devices can be programmed to receive updates via SMS or voice from an accompanying device on each vehicle and report things such as current location, direction, etc. If you're application came ready to interface with something like that, then you'd have something ready to sell.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of. See what you can throw together.
    [/quote]

so much for him comming up with his own ideas

[quote author=GILLION link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=0#msg13787 date=1060018359]
    so much for him comming up with his own ideas
    [/quote]

Sorry man, I was in my 'boy scout' mode.

i had the idea about the GPS.... but i done know how to do it with VB. i think there is a way to do it with C++ but i want to use VB. any ieda how to do i t with VB?? i have searched the web but can find any ideas.

[quote author=pheonix link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=0#msg13933 date=1060180868]
    i had the idea about the GPS.... but i done know how to do it with VB. i think there is a way to do it with C++ but i want to use VB. any ieda how to do i t with VB?? i have searched the web but can find any ideas.
    [/quote]
    In order to do anything with GPS you need to build/buy a non military class GPS reciever and interface it with your computer. This interface will/may require you to build drivers, and as such some level of harware programming. Then after that you still need vehicle locale transponders and perhaps programmed embedded devices or PDA's (Pocket PC running WinCE for example) VB sucks at this sort of thing.

C, C++, or Java is better suited to hardware level tasks.

Bredrin... its your call.

--regards
    Gillion

i was gonna do the gps thing a long time ago but it was giving me a headache. maybe i will do another project. mi nuh waan mad before time. ;D

You shouldn't have to worry about writing drivers to interface with the device. If you check the site I gave you most if not all the products they are pitching come with API's to write applications to communicate with them.

[quote author=pheonix link=board=23;threadid=1443;start=15#msg13935 date=1060184838]
    i was gonna do the gps thing a long time ago but it was giving me a headache. maybe i will do another project. mi nuh waan mad before time. ;D
    [/quote]
    You have schoices man...
    Are you choosing a project just to get a grade or LEARN something outside the box
    and get the grade ?
    Most people ask me for project IDEA's i tell them go with the simple stuff (especially a few UTECH women I know) since is only the grade/course them want to pass... NOT THAT IS A BAD thing, but where is the courtship, where is the romance ?

Learn outside the box ? GPS
    get the grade ? SIMPLE TAXI SOFTWARE

only you can select the best for you

--devils advocate
    Gillion

Yup I agree with GILLION.

now i am feeling bad. i want a grade but i wanna know more. i dont really like programming but i am good.

i am thinking about it....... ???