Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: showing live source

dumping errors to the enduser
    Is the difference between IE's status bar and FireFox's status bar. There is some good in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    I still believe in opensource. It is just that the majority(not all) of php developers are just
    some Dick, Tom or Harry from the street who decided "hey! lets make a site". PHPers also
    have this nasty habit of dumping errors to the enduser.

Identity theft/worms are sure to follow with the exposure of bad coding practices.
    Good point! I wonder which am I? Tom? or maybe Dick! Truth of the matter though is that there is tons of dirty php code floating about the place and you cant really get away from that because of the nature of php. PHP is easy to learn and relatively cheap to host. So the be sure to see even more Toms,Dicks and Harrys. But just like any person who is trying to learn a skill, eventually some those guys will actually get good. Making mistakes is part of the learning process. People do need to learn to read the code before they steal it and make it part of their application.

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    Is the difference between IE's status bar and FireFox's status bar. There is some good in it.
    I must be slow. I dont quite get that one.

mostly the IE status bar always shows the same message "Opening page ... " not matter what is happening - its the most annoying thing because the user never actually knows what the browser is doing, if there is a error or whatever. It firefox and other browsers the status bar is more usefull because it tells the user infomation about what is going on behind the scenes.

Anyway the source thing is done, lock stock and barrel. You'll have to login (because of the google bot) to see the source link at the bottom of the page.

Things to Note:

* warning: php code might be crazy / messy / confusing.
    * the actual html templates are stored in separate files but with a little php magic, you can see then by clicking the word template.
    * the page is complete but there are 11 external function files that are not accessible.
    * All code belongs to owen and you cannot use it.

I just signed in, its pretty interesting. I like it. I noticed you didnt expand on your require_one("head.php") and similar for foot. . What do you mean by 11 external function files are not accessible?

I don't expand the "require_once" files only the templates. "require_once" files are very few though appart from
    The meat of the stuff is in those other files;
    • user online functions
    • template function
    • setting functions
    • session functions
    • mysql database functions
    • globals
    • function functions
    • file functions
    • error functions

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    * All code belongs to owen and you cannot use it.
    Ahmmm... just to interject here ... i must admit that i am someone who writes his own code ... but opening up your source is like putting a thousand dollar bill on a seat in a bus and expecting to ever see it again... it will be stolen...

Quote Originally Posted by aonekilla
    Ahmmm... just to interject here ... i must admit that i am someone who writes his own code ... but opening up your source is like putting a thousand dollar bill on a seat in a bus and expecting to ever see it again... it will be stolen...
    In my case it would be more like a 50 dollar bill. A very small portion of the whole thing is truly original code. Everything else can be found in tutorials, the help on php.net and by posting a question on a found like techjamaica.com ( asking your sister ). As the song says its all being done before.

so if your code is more like a 50 dollar bill, what you call 1000 dollar bill code?

there are things that I develop my own algorithm for but I won't say that someone else hasn't done it already so I just don't bother with opening up my source codes. not because i have anything to hide but I am just too lazy to do it.

another thing by exposing your source code you site can be easier to hack into since a good advantage of php (and other server-side technologies) is to not display how your site works in the source page... a pitfall of javascript.
    He who hesitates, dies.