Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Delphi developers out there?

Default Re:Any Delphi developers out there?

hey odsamuels, you may want to take a look at the Advantage Database Server by Extended Systems (http://www.extendedsystems.com/ADS/default.htm). RobyG can speak more on this product than I can but it may be worth your time to look at it.

A quicker link to Advantage database Server (ADS) is http://www.advantagedatabase.com

I have been using ADS for over a year now and have used it on several projects. ADS is a true Client-Server solution (not to be mixed up with Desktop databases like MS Access, Paradox, FoxPro, etc).

I used to use MS Access as a back-end but it has a way of slowing down when it reaches about 20,000 records with a few concurrent users. ADS will perform well with several million records and hundreds of concurrent users. ADS was developed to compete against Oracle. ADS Databases do not get corrupted and needs no DB Admin. Desktop databases on the other hand can easiliy get corrupted and that is why many Foxpro apps come with a re-index option.

I hardly use ADS for small single user projects but instead use DBISAM Database. (www.elevatesoft.com). DBISAM is amazingly fast and have neat functions.

BTW, ADS and DBISAM are the top two Database engines according to Delphi Informant magazine.

Ok, now I'm real excited... I gonna go jump on those sites and check those things out and whip back out my Delphi and get cooking... but b4 I do... do u know what kinds of cost we are talking? If it's too much I'm going with MySQL or something.

Thanks man... this is kewl.

You can also check their link at www.AdvantageDatabase.com/go/jamaica 8)

lets see no delphi developers...hmmmm

here at my company we have 11 delphi developers. internationally (www.acs-inc.com) we got probably 100s. I prefer delphi over VB anyday. I mean, nothing beats compiling your code and distributing one .exe file.

Plus with the cross-compatability with linux (Kylix), why would you wanna use VB????

Now here's another person with alot of sense !! ;D

I know both very well. I started out with VB but found delphi to be better, alot better.

Well - this thread seems a bit old - but add two more to the Delphi list.

After 3 weeks looking for a good RAD tool, with a preference for a UML based tool - Delphi came out on top.

Powerful, quick development time, single executable and TONS of plugins.
    The apps I have been making look sooooo much more professional than any VB app that I did.

Mainly using Delphi 7 but have used 8 as well and it is quite nice. The UML tool is pretty impressive, even if its not that well documented yet.

i have pascal n vb but have never done any programming which would be a good 1 to start with n is their any books i could read to enlighten my darkness

Cool Re: Any Delphi developers out there?

I only joined this forum yesterday and I’m so glad I found this web site. I’m a proud Jamaican living between the US and Canada and this board surely makes me feel at home.

I keep jumping from one programming language to the next in hopes to make myself more marketable on the job front. However [Pascal/Turbo Pascal] is my first love .
    Hence my natural progression into Delphi since version 1. (its been a long time since dim dayz) But I must say Delphi is not as popular as it deserves to be. For sure it is a robust development tool and I think that Borland needs to be more aggressive in their marketing to make Delphi more main stream.
    (I just got my copy of version 7)
    SPOONman