Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Education system on a real

They tell every damn batch that!!! They are a bunch of SUCKERS!
    They need to stop playing with struggling black people.
    Mine them hurt themself

I just want Twisted Pair to look into this before him say that i ranting off the top of my head before him say i'm a mad past student :-)
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

They tell every damn batch that!!! They are a bunch of SUCKERS!
    Once again, I agree.

Im not sure if corruption is the word im looking for but these "institutions" definetly taking ppl for a ride.

TwistedPair Guest

Ok, according to my friend, the Dean said it was accredited two weeks ago, I’ll feel better when I hear that for myself. Concerning the name change, I did not ask because I did not remember, besides that fact is of little consequence to my situation. Mention was made however of tougher entrance requirements for prospective students so that part checks out .I also checked the UTECH site and found confirmation on this page.

http://www.utech.edu.jm/Admin/OVP_%2...strar/scit.htm

I still have to clear the air on this accreditation story

Ok, I looked on the page but i didn't see confirmation of accreditation but i did see confirmation of the name change:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.utech.edu.jm/Admin/OVP_%20AdminRegistrar/scit.htm
    The Bachelor of Science in Computing and Information Technology will be phased out and replaced by the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS). Prospective applicants to the BSCS programme in 2006/7 will be required to have 2 CAPE or A-Level subjects or successful completion of the Pre-Requisite Course of Study (PCS) programme. See page 10 for details on PCS.
    But it is good to find out which programme is accredited and what set of students would be affected.
    the lesson afterwards

@ZT..

So with all your bashing and smashing of the UTECH degree in computer science, what is your suggestion for persons wanting to do a degree in the IT field?

Maybe I was doing a different BSCIT course up there, but a lot of the stuff you say happened never happened to me. That ex KGB guy that is supposedly close minded never seem so close minded to me. In second year I did networking as well, and the group that I was in got to set up a peer to peer system and reload the server operating system, i agree that it was just a scrape on the top, but it gave me the foundation i needed to go out in the work world and perform in the networking industry.

P.S. when I started attending UTECH, I had never even done IT before, I never even knew how to use a computer. Now I am building professional websites and writing programs in VB.net, i know more in computing than 3/4 of the Jamaican population. I don’t know what you went through up there, but the course has certainly done a lot for me.

With all my bashing and smashing also came some praise and actually admitting that UTech has a better outlook at the future.

Congrats that you didnt have any problems up at UTECH...that is so surprising i must congratulate you. For anybody to pass through and say that not even the administration gave them problems is a very rare feat. Looking back, i didn't have much individual problems but when you look on the whole school community and the experience of others, it spills over unto me.

Now if we have to be searching to find a student like you, who the programme has done alot for, then that must point to a problem. Its good that you didnt have any quarrels with Mr. Pockachev <spelling> but its his don't care attitude that cause students to complain every year. The amount of things that i can mention that make the programme look bad is so much that it doesn't make sense. I can only wish them the best for the future.

I have no idea what UWI course is like, but for the most part, UWI students have told me that UTECH's course is better. Utech policies (example, handouts and better student-teacher interactions) really help students to excel. Is persons are staying in Jamaica to do their degree then Utech is the place to go. There is a thing/stereotype when it comes to Utech students that they do alot of "practical work" so whenever they go out for jobs, being from Utech helps.

Now you say your writing program in VB .net, do you realize that half the world isnt using .Net. The web is built on Apache Servers and other technologies that are not even mentioned during the course. How can you be doing a course that is to speak on Information Technology but when it comes down to it, only Microsoft programming is done (in your final years).

Oracle is the widest used database software - #1 in enterprise database. Can you imagine the value of doing an Oracle course. Listing that on your resume is much better than saying you have ASP .Net database coursework experience.

The lecturers (especialy the senior ones) come to us and ask us why are we taking crap from the school. Every year they say computing is the least proactive school cause we get the worst treatment but we make the least noise and bring in the second most money. Actually the most money when combined with Engine. There are alot of stuff that need attention.

I can only hope that more and more students like yourself come out of the institution which would then signify that changes are being made for the better.
    the lesson afterwards

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto_Nerd
    @ZT..

In second year I did networking as well, and the group that I was in got to set up a peer to peer system and reload the server operating system, i agree that it was just a scrape on the top, but it gave me the foundation i needed to go out in the work world and perform in the networking industry.
    You must have been lucky because the networking course I did in second year was foolishness, a lot of out dated concepts and I never touched a cat 5 cable let alone set up a network. This is my main problem with the bscit course, the main focus is programming so for a networking guy like me it’s very boring. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with learning a few languages but every course seems to focus on software development and the ones that don't are a joke, like networking, internet technology etc. The subjects so shallow you don't really learn anything you can use in the real world. I questioned the relevance of the theory of computation course to a non programmer and the answer I got is that every IT person has to program. I really can't imagine my boss asking me the network admin to develop antivirus software for the office.

I just wish the course had the flexibility that allowed you to pick courses relevant to your career path and not just in final year. On the other hand I’m not sure any local institution can or does offer that level of flexibility. Right now the bscit course is a programmer’s course, network guys are better off getting their mcse and ccna.

I can honestly say I have not learned anything new related to my field, instead its the oposite, I can't remember how to subnet an IP adress anymore... I took a step backward.

I'm just sticking with it to collect that piece of paper employers like to see.
    Last edited by TwistedPair; Jul 3, 2005 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE

Now you say your writing program in VB .net, do you realize that half the world isnt using .Net. The web is built on Apache Servers and other technologies that are not even mentioned during the course. How can you be doing a course that is to speak on Information Technology but when it comes down to it, only Microsoft programming is done (in your final years).

Oracle is the widest used database software - #1 in enterprise database. Can you imagine the value of doing an Oracle course. Listing that on your resume is much better than saying you have ASP .Net database coursework experience.
    I have written some web pages that use PHP for server side coding which runs on Apache and have used Oracle 9i to build database, I am not an expert at PHP but I can do little things in the language, you must note also that I taught myself PHP. Where did u get your information that the web is built on Apache server, man the web is built on html tag . Anyhow that is not the issues. The issue is the school cannot teach you everything and since they give you the foundation you need go out and expand on your knowledge.

Do you know the advantage of .Net has over Apache? Its not only a web platform, but it is also a application platform, most of the code used in VB can be used in C# and ASP.Net. Now, I figure that the computer you are using is more than likely running Windows and not Linux can you tell me a programming language that can build interface like those in VB.net, and don’t even mention Java, because Java interface looks like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair
    The subjects so shallow you don't really learn anything you can use in the real world. I questioned the relevance of the theory of computation course to a non programmer and the answer I got is that every IT person has to program. I really can't imagine my boss asking me the network admin to develop antivirus software for the office
    You know TwistedPair, that is very sad, you failed to understand that the course is not preparing you to be a network Admin or a programmer but it’s training you to be a scientist and giving you the foundation you need to understand all the different fields of the computer industry, you will understand the purpose of TOC when you understand the course you are doing. You maybe cant imagine your boss asking you to write an anti virus, but any day something goes wrong in your department and you can create a piece of software to solve that problem you would have just sealed your position within the organization as a permanent worker, until you decide to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair
    I just wish the course had the flexibility that allowed you to pick courses relevant to your career path and not just in final year
    As I said before the course is preparing you to be a scientist and not just a worker
    Last edited by Ghetto_Nerd; Jul 3, 2005 at 01:46 PM.

The system is poor ... I am tempted to say "The system is poor in comparison with overseas but I lack reseach on overseas universities. In terms of international ranking, UWI and UTECH are not in the top of the top. A little evidence of this, with respect to computer science, is the content on the web sites: I have looked at uwi Cs courses and some overseas ones and sometimes the overseas ones goes into more 'detail' with theory information. It even appears as if the uwi cs courses were fashoined from the overseas courses.

Jamaican students are bright but they are not given the oppurtunity to shine because of one societal problem or the next. This is a next thread. The quantity of work done in schools is unfortunately less. I know from experience, going to a class with no teacher there. The advancement of the class is not governed by the students 'brains' but on the availability of learning resources including the time needed to learn them. Consequently, the sylabus is watered-down, and the degree is less regarded, in my opinion.

My solution would be to reduce the uwi tuition fee, so that more students can afford it, so that a wider variety of degree programmes can be issued, so that software purchased by the university can be in 'bulk', and finally there can be degrees in network management, database management, internet management, simulations, etc (don't laugh).

All scientific work is theory and pratical. Computer Science is no different. UWI & UTECH maintains a balance between theory and practical. UWI may by a bit short of the practical software & equipment still. Practice is very important to a science degree. And when it comes to working in Jamaica, it helps in getting a job. However, the practice is not mentioned in the degree; certificates holds the purpose of showing what software practices a person have. For example a degree in Computer Science does not necessarily means that someone can program in Dot.Net. How this affects Jamaica, is that the universities should use software practices that are specific to the local workplace. Take for example, optimising a program in theory and then doing it in practice with a Linux or Postgres SQL program so that a php web site will run quickly. This is more the practice that is use in the Jamaican workplace, but it would be done in the curriculum.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you