Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux?

I installed Suse 9.2 last night on a different drive, everything working, just need to learn how to use linux now
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

I swear TechJamaica is getting members interested in linux.. That is really nice to see.

Question help!

ok. i finished downloading Ubuntu, its in the form of a zip file, when i extract the file size its 581Mb, but i dont see an autorun file nor setup file. here is a pic of the folder

In the install folder there is not setup file either.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry
    ok. i finished downloading Ubuntu, its in the form of a zip file, when i extract the file size its 581Mb, but i dont see an autorun file nor setup file. here is a pic of the folder

In the install folder there is not setup file either.
    I dont think you can install it in Windows, you would have to boot from the Cd...well most likely, thas what u have to do when loading any new OS
    Last edited by icuucme; Jun 23, 2005 at 02:54 PM.

I was just looking through the folders, plus evry bootable cd suppose to have a file saying autorun or something relating to that. I burnt it on a cd, restarted the system, the computer starts reading from the cd drive then a message comes up saying "searching for boot device......cd drive", we all know that message comes up when any cd is in the drive, then XP loads. I was not trying to load ii in while windows,

you may not see a setup.exe, remember this is (weird) linux, it's not normal like windows . Change the boot settings in the bios...change the 1st boot device to the cd rom drive
    Last edited by icuucme; Jun 23, 2005 at 03:00 PM.

yup all that is already changed. maybe something is wrong with the installation file i don't know . how is the suse 9.2 workig out for u.

Well thas what i did for Suse 9.2 and it worked, i just changed the 1st boot device to the cdrom then restart, then i saw the Suse screen load. It installed and now it's working.

Ive got a question for you linux ppl; I installed suse on another drive, when i turn on the pc after the bios screen finish i see a linux screen come up asking which OS i wanna use, but it change so fast like 5 - 10 seconds after the scren show up it start automatically load suse. Is there anyway of automaitcally loading WinXp instead of Suse?

u sure the ISO is okay? u check the MD5 of the file... i've never installed Ubuntu but it should boot up if u set ur BIOS to boot from CD.
    The limits you are living with right now, in very aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions.
    And they are holding you back.
    You are capable of far more than you think you are.

Just tried it again, went into my bios, the 1st boot device is cd/dvd. i had burnt it on a RW just to try it out cuz i didn't want to destroy one of my blanks. could this be a reason for it not loading? also i had the rw in my burner, the pc read it displayed the message "searching for boot device on cd rom" then windows loaded but when i placed it in the dvd, the same message came up, but it never moved and the pc continued reading from the cd. 2 minutes gone same thing, so i ejected it then the computer resumed booting.