Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry
    On the Suse, there are some extension beside the ftp links like i386, complete, ppc, x64, what does all this mean?
    If you ar using Windows, most likely you will use the i386 download
    PPC is for Macs
    x64 is for 64 bit Archtecture
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh
    If you ar using Windows, most likely you will use the i386 download
    PPC is for Macs
    x64 is for 64 bit Archtecture
    ok thanks alot, gonna download it now. Ok i went there but when i click on the i386 under USA, an error message comes up saying it cannot find the file.

i decided to try a UK Link , i am not sure what to click whether live dvd 9.3 or just 9.3. Should i click on live dvd? I want both the 63 bit and the windows version. Can both of them go on 1 dvd, and then be bootable?
    Last edited by jerry; Jun 22, 2005 at 01:25 PM.

has any1 tried the link i posted above?? i just wanna know if i am doing the right thing. also can i have the amd and windows version on the same dvd?

It seems SuSE has not yet released a full "Personal" version on regular CD, just DVD. The 9.3 folder points to a Network Install option, meaning you would boot up with a CD containing that ISO image, then connect to the Internet to complete the installation. This may not be very practical if you have to reformat your drive in the very near future, as it means you'll have to do the install/download operation all over again.

If you're not ready to do a hard drive installation yet, then go ahead and pull the 9.3 Live DVD.
    If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain
    - Morpheus, "The Matrix"

save yourself the trouble....just get ubuntu...
    There's a fullguide on how to use it http://ubuntuguide.org/

Including topics like configuring multimedia, java, flash, a vunerability scanner, video editor etc.....

I've been using ubuntu for over 8 months and it works pretty well on my
    700 mhz/256MB laptop.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Yep, that's what I'm running right now on my Toshiba.

It seems though that Ubuntu on laptops is a bit less of a hassle than on desktops. Maybe it's just those systems with not-too-popular video chipsets (translation: not ATI or nVidia)... we had a warm time getting the X resolutions right on a couple of Dell Optiplex & assembled units at work.

Only minimal issues with SuSE 9.1 (9.3 coming soon) on those same PCs.
    If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain
    - Morpheus, "The Matrix"

So u guys recommend then that I get ubuntu, instead?

@JA2, u said something about resolution on desktops with ATI & Nvidia cards, would this be a problem?

So u guys recommend then that I get ubuntu, instead?
    This is how the confusion begins.

Each person has his favourite, so use a few and choose one that you like. Everyone will give you a different answer to this question.
    Close your eyes and choose a distro. Use if for a while. Then close your eyes and choose another distro. Use if for a while.

After using a few, stick with the one you like best.

They all work more or less the same way.

yeh i started with mandrake, thought it was the greatest thing since slice bread, then i used suse, then i used a debian based distro, fell in love with apt-get, found out i could use it in suse. i love my suse box, but say if i had a system with less resources ubuntu would be my next favorite distro
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

well i just visted the site pigeonflight posted, and it seems ok, so i am gonna try this one out for a about 3 months, then try suse 9.3 when it releases. thanx for thelp evry1.