Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux?

Question Questions about Linux?

Well I have been using M$ since I first used a PC which was in about 1996. Feel like to move unto something new, I have been hearing about this Linux OS and have been wanting to try it. I have finally made up my mind and have decided to give it a try. Need a little help from u Linux fans first?

What are the benefits of Linux?
    Why is it better than others like M$ & Mac, other than its free?
    How much space do I need to reserve for it?
    I know there a different versions of Linux, like RedHat, Suse, etc... which one would you recommend for me and which ones do you use?

There are tons upon tons upon tons of threads on Linux....guides, tutorials etc. We even have a whole section devoted to it. Try them out.....

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Well I have been using M$ since I first used a PC which was in about 1996. Feel like to move unto something new, I have been hearing about this Linux OS and have been wanting to try it.
    I see it more as an expansion of knowledge. There is no need to move from one to the other. You have a good knowledge of Windows. Great!!! Add a good knowledge of Linux or Macs to the mix and you are much more competent/marketable.

What are the benefits of Linux?
    More and more companies are using Linux. You are likely to meet it in the workplace in the coming years. It is a very stable operating system. It is quite secure. It is often used for specialized tasks such as web servers, mail servers, instant messaging servers, firewalls, file servers and dhcp or dns servers.

Many people use it as a desktop. It is generally considered to be a more secure way to browse the internet.

Why is it better than others like M$ & Mac, other than its free?
    See the answer above.

How much space do I need to reserve for it?
    Around the same space that you would reserve for Windows.

I know there a different versions of Linux, like RedHat, Suse, etc... which one would you recommend for me and which ones do you use?
    These are distributions or distros, not versions. Suse has a nice interface so it is a good place for Windows users to start. Red Hat is the most widely used in business so make sure to learn Fedora.

Each person has his favourite, so use a few and choose one that you like. Everyone will give you a different answer to this question.

I would recommend putting a spare hard drive in your machine and doing an install. Run with it for a few days.

Next you could try dual booting a box with Windows and Linux.

Start slow and ask a lot of questions on the forum.

Are you interested in using Linux as a server or as a desktop?

Well I am interested in using it as a dektop. I am not really moving from Windows i just want to experience another another OS, and I heard Linux is one of the best.

I have an 80gig splitted up, 20gig for XP and programs and 60gig for my files, musics etc. On the 60gig, 20gig is left, thats why i wanted to know how much space is required.

I just checked the novell website about Linux Suse Professional and the latest version is 9.3, but it said its a DVD iso image, i dont have a dvd burner, so if i download it then i would have to use an image software like nero to open the image and install it on another partition or another hdd if i get one.

u can get the 5cd isos also i not sure if its available from suse yet
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

when i come back i could burn it for you if you want, but i wont be back till mid july
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

I also planning on learning linux, starting this week. So which linux would be the best to start off with as a beginner?
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

Quote Originally Posted by icuucme
    I also planning on learning linux, starting this week. So which linux would be the best to start off with as a beginner?

maybe you should try suse. many users from the windows world like this distro.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    when i come back i could burn it for you if you want, but i wont be back till mid july
    thats ok, my brethren gonna burn it for me, thanx though. I am gonna download it now. So since is 20Gig is left on my 60Gig, couldn't i just split that in 10gig, would that be enough?
    Last edited by jerry; Jun 22, 2005 at 10:40 AM.

On the Suse, there are some extension beside the ftp links like i386, complete, ppc, x64, what does all this mean?