Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PC Cooling

Default Re:PC Cooling

The fan can come off (look for screws or plastic pins) but the heatsink I aint too sure about.

[quote author=Vermanucci? GoFastR link=board=3;threadid=1348;start=15#msg13252 date=1059436327]
    ??? Question: how does one cool a onboard chipset? It has a heat sink but no fan & it seems to be overheating. Can a fan mounted on the current heatsink?
    [/quote]

"seems to be overheating" ---
    doesn't it also seem that your machine is robbing you of harddrive space?
    Or, that no matter how hard you try, your pc can never be cool enough?

What is the temp of your onboard chipset? Is it making noise ... or spinning eratically? Otherwise, you may just be a paranoid soul ;D

What you can do is check to see if anyone else with your board has the same experience. Some users have asked for a new fan from the manufacturers, which they should be able to do for you. Just make sure though that if you mess with your chipset fan, you replace it with a better one.

I read where users with nosiy fans used a very small drop of motor oil, or two, to deaden the noise. Remember to peel off the lil sticker.

[quote author=Scotty link=board=3;threadid=1348;start=0#msg13221 date=1059422732]
    just recovered from a near death experience.

i was playin Starcraft with Skillachi, then i restarted the computer ... it was saying the processor was runnin at 80
    so i look at the fan -- the fan stopped spinning :'(

i put ma standing fan on it to help it cool down, i never sprayed the condensed air on it because i think that the material being that hot, then suddenly apply cold air to it might make it break.
    so i allowed it to cool then i used the compressed air and i blew out the fan and under the heatsink ... it's running now (at 2800 to 3200 rpm) and the processor is back up to 47 :-\

i'm gonna get those heatsinks that igodit recommended.
    what's the fastest spinning processor fan? i need it. badly.
    is there anywhere in Kingston that might have such fans?
    [/quote]

The funeral service for scotty's fan/heatsink will be... wenever him get a new set. Di ting dem basically ded to put it in the simplest terms. and 2800-3200 rpm cannot work for a p4 processor to keep it up at optimal speed. and worst if u start to play a serious game or do some serious graphics work den it jus goin fry. As i recommended before Scotty. Go buy a new p4 standard fan/heatsink and goan work wid dat. I am sure u can go to any computer store and find one.

chipset doesn't have a fan - it has a heat sink doesn't seem to be getn rid of heat quickly enough when i'm running heavy duty apps, esp since the time is so hot. I'm asking if theres any way to mount a fat atop of the present heatsink - which is rather small if you ask me.

You could mont one of those memory cooling fans, they might just fit or get one of those low end graphics and rip that small fan off. Be carefull when screwing on fan.

yesh - but question is where.

i'm thinking this would work.

Decent cooling options and mods are very hard to find in JA, and when you do find them, they cost and arm and a leg.

As for fast spinning air coolers, think more material and less speed, copper always does the trick. But I have a nice setup with a Thermaltake Volcanon Cu fan, spinning at about 7800-8000 RPM, but yet doesn't sound like a truck. Invest in a large case, some round cables, and you should be fine.

Chipset heat sink is removable, usually has those plastic clips to attach it to the mother boards. Replace it with a vid card fan and heatsink combo, they should be small enough, although I've seen larger fans used on mobos. But cooling your motherboard to that extent is unneccesary.

So, does anyone know where in JA I can get some thermal compound (not the cheap stuff, only Arctic Silver and the likes). Does Xoxide operate in JA or what? I wish they did, I'd be their best customer...