Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Cooling

Default Re:PC Cooling

They have converters that change the three pin connector from the fan to a Molex connector so that it can work with a free powersupply molex connector.

I Don't know where you can get one though.

just recovered from a near death experience.

i was playin Starcraft with Skillachi, then i restarted the computer ... it was saying the processor was runnin at 80
    so i look at the fan -- the fan stopped spinning :'(

i put ma standing fan on it to help it cool down, i never sprayed the condensed air on it because i think that the material being that hot, then suddenly apply cold air to it might make it break.
    so i allowed it to cool then i used the compressed air and i blew out the fan and under the heatsink ... it's running now (at 2800 to 3200 rpm) and the processor is back up to 47 :-\

i'm gonna get those heatsinks that igodit recommended.
    what's the fastest spinning processor fan? i need it. badly.
    is there anywhere in Kingston that might have such fans?

If the heatsink is any good then the fan that comes with it should be good also.

ok, you know something, it may be the thermal contact that may be suspect.
    buy some thermal grease for heatsink to processor bonding.
    take the board out and lay it flat on some thick cardboard. nice insulator which is generally static free.
    then lift the proc off and get rid of the old stuff carefully. then re-apply the new stuff. very thinly but well covered. a bone handle dinner set knife is just perect for that job. nice layer. about 0.5 to 1.0mm thick.
    i normally cheat here by trying to do both the heatsink an the chip. try to seat it one perfect go. clip it up and then run it again. you may see some improvement.

worry about having some case fans. it may be that the heat in the system isnt escaping properly. dont take any power off the board to run fans. use the power supply.

Back$ide!!!! Processor running at 80??

Yuh fortunate seh you was monitoring the temp or else you woulda deffinatle cook the thing...

One way too cool you machine down is by filling it with a bag of party ice...hmmmm, on second thought, the ice would create condesantion thus spoiling your circuitry....bad idea!

Lets see....you know, you could place your pc in a homemade windtunnel, probably powered by 10 Jamaica Wind standing fans....a lil bit drastic......

Or you could go out and get ThermalRight SLK-900U teamed up with a Vantec fan.... [i](wiser choice :)
    They sell for around $50.00 plus fan would be $60

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/1189.htm

Yow...check it!!!

• All copper design for maximum performance
    • Soldered fins to base to ensure effective contact
    • 92mm stock fan for more cooling capability
    • Screws through motherboard mounting for LAN party
    • Both AMD socket A and Intel socket-478 compatible

High ratings from testers. Cant go wrong (...in theory...)

igodit Guest

Scotty

Check theses:

1. Thermal Compound
    2. Case (and case fans)
    3. Processor fans

You need to check the air flow of your case, no point having a hugh fan and the air is not escaping properly.

You can probably use some like 'dry ice' to check the air flow, and please do so at your own risk.

The thermal compound you have between your fan and processor I'm assuing is the cheap stuff they packages with the new processors. Scrap that crap off and get some Nanotherm epoxy.

Check the air flow again, get some rounded cable, they don't just look neat they don't catch that much air either... this is a good thing.

Case fans, don't mean you got a jumbo jet blowers, but check the cycle of the fan, make sure it's taking air out and not in... that is a bad thing.

Other electrical devices that generate heat, check em. Everthing building up some hot air in that case is an enemy... that's a bad thing.

Try and cool as much devices down in there...

And for crying out loud check out the site will yah!

Xoxide

??? Question: how does one cool a onboard chipset? It has a heat sink but no fan & it seems to be overheating. Can a fan mounted on the current heatsink?

if you r using the heatsink that kame with the processor if i recall the heat sink should come off pretty easy without any damge to the processor
    its simple jus lift the two clips at each side of the fan and free the clips at the end of the fan assembley

about your heat problem most mobos have a shut down feature where you can set the safe running temperature and if your processor exeeds that temp your machine will shut dow automatically and yes dust can cause major overheating i have seen a heatsink with the dust baked on to it and surely the processor got fried

i dont think you can take of the chipset fan. not sure about that though. look it up on the net. maybe someone has done it somewhere.
    try overclockers.com or summin.