Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Cooling

Default PC Cooling

hey guys

i need to get my pc cool -- and fast. it's running, on average, 50°C with my standing fan blowing on it. yesterday, i decided to go open case. took off the case, shut it down and let it cool for about 15 mins. i put the standing fan right beside it and turned on the comp and let it start up. i played Starcraft for about 20 mins then restarted again. the BIOS told me it was running at 47° -- still not a big improvement (for me).

i decided to check the processor fan and heat sink.
    1. the heat sink has dust so the heat is still being retained.
    2. the fan is ontop of the heat sink and blowing air onto the heat sink...not very effective if u ask me.

i'm very afraid of taking off the heat sink and cleaning it because i fear of breaking my processor and if that breaks ... :-[ :-\ no more computer for me.

anyone know any quick ways to cool it?
    thanks in advance

Default Re:PC Cooling

ok, you dont need to lift the heatsink off.
    you can gently unscrew the fan's 4 screws. then using an artists paintbrush, gently scoop out the dust while holding the vacumn hose nearby to clean up the air around the moving dust.
    good advice is to keep the unit plugged in with the switch at the wall or back of power supply off. this in effect keeps the power off but not the ground. the ground lead cannot be switched off. get me. that way the board is always grounded and any static you generate is swiftly carted away. work in a nice open space.
    once you are finished. give it a good blow out with your mouth. your breath is nice an moist and wont build up much if any static.
    replace fan.

to improve circulation, keep the holes in the comp clear and add a couple of case fans. one for sucking in and the other for out. if you only get one, then use it to suck out of the case. better its pulling heat out , rather than building up air pressure in the system whcih only gets warmer.
    the other guys can recommend which supa dupa chip cooler/fan you can get out there. ;D

and oh ye, keep the comp where it can get some air man. not under a blanket....hehehe....jus teasing ;D

i just looked at the fan ... no screws.
    i'm running a Pentium IV with, what i'm assuming is the Pentium IV heat sink and fan.
    i would have to pull off the fan and heatsink together, and in addition to me fearing of breaking the processor, i might break some ..uhh..how can i put it...cylindrical-looking thingys close to the latches (look like batteries...yeah...those things)

Skillachi recommended condensed air to clean out the heat sink (and inside the computer on a whole). i'll go that route till i can get some additional fans.

thanks for the help deakie

igodit Guest

Here is PC cooling 101 for yah!

Based on what you have mentioned in your post you seemt o be talking more about your processor cooling. I recommend Nanotherm PCM+ - US$9.99.

xoxide.com

For other types of cooling continue reading below...

igodit Guest

The Taisol Heat Pipe Cooler utilizes Taisol's new heat pipe technology. This new technology makes it possible for the cooler to handle chips even beyond the P4 2.8Ghz. The cooler fits Intel P4 Socket 478 chips.

SV Taisol P4 Heat Pipe Cooler - $32.99

igodit Guest

Memory Cooling

Recommended for the PC-2100, PC-2700 & PC-100/133 SDRAM systems. Helps keep your system cool and stable.

Specifications
    P/N A1165
    Fan Dimension 40x40x20 mm
    Rated Voltage 12V
    Started Voltage 7V
    Rated Current 0.11A
    Power Input 1.32W
    FAN Speed 5000±10% R.P.M
    Air Pressure 1.50mm- H2O
    Max. Air Flow 5.1CFM
    Noise 23dBa
    Bearing Type Sleeve Bearing
    Lift Time 30,000 Hours
    Connector 3Pin

Thermaltake Active Memory Cooling - $12.99

Try getting a large copper heatsink with alot of "fins" or "gills", copper is the best conductor of heat and also try to get a fan capable of at least 6500rpm.

let me start of by first saying thanks to all of you who have responded to help me (deakie, igodit and devnull) so far (and those who may help me later)

igodit -- i think i'll just use the case fans they (xoxide.com) have; or maybe even a case with all the cooling power i would need ;D (gotta save big time for that though... :-[)

i got the compressed air yesterday, and almost emptied the bottle :-\.
    the temperature has dropped from a 47-50+ degree range to 41-43 degrees

still want it cooler though.

wat temperatures do you guys have your processor running at? (in a non-air conditioned environment)

41 - 43 is very cool, don't think you need to go any lower than that, my computer runs at around 37 degrees idles and about 41 full load, playing games though brings it to about 45, which i think is acceptable.

;D the 3 pin head for the cooling/system fan -=- anyone know where i can get one of those?

Is there any safe way to lengthen a existing fan connection? I got a system fan for my machine -=- tower case -=- the fan connection is all the way @ the top of the case and the fan is @ the front/bottom of the case -=- basically -=- current wire is too short and i have no connector -=- what do you people recommend.