Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet engine error

Default Jet engine error

Hi it is me again. I am having similar problems as last time I posted. My computer was hacked and had a new user added to several of my folders and others were removed. I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS before I figured out what happened. I have now reset all the user permitions to what they should be, I think. And I have set IIS to scripts only with read write access. Everything is working but the project that I was having problems with before.

Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\Ws1\C\GCSData\Store1\Inventory.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

I cant thing what else I have to check.

Again the mdb is on a MS Win98 machine and the asp pages are on XP Pro. Every thing was fine until this happened.

Wayne

questions;
    can you open the file yourself?
    do you have the file open when you are running the script?
    is the script opening the file exclusively and not closing it?
    network problems?
    does it work normallly when its on the local machine?

can you open the file yourself?
    Yes it is our stores main database

do you have the file open when you are running the script?
    Yes. The store POS system uses the database all the time but not exclusively

Is the script opening the file exclusively and not closing it?
    No I have not had any need to open the database exclusively

network problems?
    The network is integril to the POS system which has not had any problem, just the script

does it work normally when its on the local machine?
    I have another database on the system that does work normally but only after I reset all the permitions.

The script worked fine until I was hacked. The only thing that was done was the permitions were changed on a number of folders. I didn't know why my script that we have been using for a few months now stopped working, so I started tring to fix it by reinstalling IIS. Then I reset all the permitions. The server with the mdb file is Win 98, so there are no pemitions to reset.

I believe that I just do not have something set correctly in IIS, but I have no idea what. I may have also missed permitions on one of the more obscure folders, like "C:\WINDOWS\IIS Temporary Compressed Files" files but I dont think so.

The only other thing that is weird is my computer randomly tries to connect to microsoft's .net and asks me to enter my user name and password. But I dont use that, so I have no idea why it wants to connect or if it is a virus my virus checker missed.

Why do you say you were hacked? Can you be more specific?
    I have within me the blood of kings....take me to the leader of your world.

I had my permitions changed. A new user with an apparently generated name was added with full access to several folders. It appears that web user profile was changed to that new user as it was gone. Besides that, it does not look like any damage was done. It would be a little more challanging to do too much to my computer as my best connection speed is 28.8k with it usually being worse than that. I am waiting for high speed so temporarily my only firewall is XP Pro's. I guess it may be possible that I was not hacked but it looks that way to me. Either way I think it is me that did the damage to my project ,not what ever started the problem.

Default Please please help me

So... anyone have any clues as to where I should start?
    I am sure it is one little setting that I conked out.

Another thing that I caused that is not very good it is now takes about a minute to first load any webpage on my computer (first time after it reboots), even the non asp pages . My sales person uses this computer to present with, so you can imagine what a customer must think needing to wait for a minute to see something that is already downloaded. I would just get her to use hibernate to bypass the rebooting but that locks up my computer from time to time.

I just don't get it.

I don't know. dare I say format re-install everything?

Got it.

I based my fixing of the permitions off of a Win 2000 document, not one for XP

I missed the permitions for the folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\default\Local Settings\Temp

Apparently Win2000 does not have this folder.

Default AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg

I had it working for one viewing, then as I was showing my prowess at solving this problem to my lady.... It broke again

Question Jet Engine Error - Part 2

I think if found the problem, just not the solution. It seems that my permitions get reset every time I reboot. I have searched the internet and found a solution for Windows 2000. I tried it but it didn't work. I am running XP Pro.

Any Ideas anyone?