Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows and Linux problem!

Default Windows and Linux problem!

Ok....good day to you all. I'm not sure where to put this so if the mods could please move it to more appropriate environs, I would be grateful.

I recently installed SuSe 9.2 on my HDD after a cleaning it and partitioning it and whatnot. Here are my problems. I have two HDD. One of them seem to only be able to run in NTFS format. I can't seemed to change the file system even after formatting it. Now this means that I can't access the music files on it through Linux.

Linux installation went well. I chose the gnome environment. Now as far as I know, Linux detected everything including my modem. I can't hear any sounds, eventhough my soundcard is detected. I can't play audio CDs neither. I don't know if I need drivers for it or whatever but I'm not familiar with how to go about installing it or finding it for that matter. I can't seem to get Kopete to work or maybe I'm not doing it right. I'm using AMSN instead. (By the way I'm on SuSe right now)

Now for Windows, installed Windows on a separate partition. Installation went smooth but after completion, my mouse won't work. The mouse works fine during the setup and in Linux but won't work in Windows.....from Login screen onwards. Don't know how to fix that.

Also, Linux is the first OS on the partitioned HDD but for some reason, the booting sequence always goes with Windows and when I try the OS selection menu, SuSe was not there. I can only boot to Linux by using the CD. I'm willing to wipe everything once more and try again because maybe I'm doing something wrong. I would very much like some help with my above problems thank you!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Got kopte to work...but it keeps saying that my msn password is wrong.....

I just used my password to sign in via AMSN so how comes its wrong? Yes I checked the letter cases

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Firstly which boot loader r u using, u can edit the bootloader to select which to be the first os of choice etc.

Bootloaders I remember - Grub... Memory is bad but just use the bootloader to fix ur prblem.

For the audio problem - did u first check ur audio drivers if linux drivers were available? When Linux is installing it should tell u which drivers are available or compatible with the os.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

LILO is the other bootloader. Go into whichever u chose to use at installation and edit the boot os order. U can edit other settings too.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

I don't know how to fix the boot loader but I know it's GRUB. If you can help, please do. I'll continue to try on my own though!

its not telling you that the password is wrong because it is its because the protocol isn't supported ne more. amsn sucks install gaim. i think kopete has stopped updating its protocols for msn and the other clients. use gaim. gaim is the real deal these guys updates like ere day man. um it might be a bit difficult. you will need a few packages the mozilla nss nspr, gnutls and the mozilla devel package and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by death_knight; Jun 14, 2005 at 07:42 PM.

When u go into the bootloader edit the boot up line up for the os u have. I set up mine with xp first and after 30 seconds of no response it would boot into windows. To get into Linux i would have to select Linux.

I did the install diff though, windows then linux. Look up how to use grub on google.

did you choose a mouse setting in yast during the setup??? you probably need to. type yast in the terminal make sure your the su. before you do and then change you mouse and test it to make sure it works properly.

If I'm following you correctly and u installed windows after Suse you bootloader was overwritten by windows.. You can use the Suse DVD or CD to rewrite the Linux boot loader.. just go into the rescue option. However If u do that u will not be able to boot into windows you will need to manually add Windows to the boot loader and If you feel you can't do that just run a rescue from the Suse CD it will detect all OS and properly configure the loader.
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 14, 2005 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    If I'm following you correctly and u installed windows after Suse you bootloader was overwritten by windows.. You can use the Suse DVD or CD to rewrite the Linux boot loader.. just go into the rescue option. However If u do that u will not be able to boot into windows you will need to manually add Windows to the boot loader and If you feel you can't do that just run a rescue from the Suse CD it will detect all OS and properly configure the loader.
    That infact should do the trick.