Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running 2 NIC - one Computer - Win2K Prof

Default Re:Running 2 NIC - one Computer - Win2K Prof

A fellow told me that his laptop NIC (3COM PCMCIA) has an issue in that from time to time it does not register and he has to pull it and and reinsert for it to start working again. that could be a slot problem though.

Yeah, that could be a slot problem, but it could also very well be the darned X-Jack thing. The little cable that sticks unto the PCMCIA card. IT is so annoying, because it is prone to strain, breaks, slips, disconnects and that sort of thing. I've met some 3Com NICs that just refuse to behave in certain PCMCIA slots, where a DLink inserted would simply work hands down.

Oh btw Collin, if you ever have to make use of those CNET NICs... depending on the hub/switch you are using try changing around the following things: Mbps, Duplex mode, AutoSensing and see what happens u may be able to come up with something more tolerable.

CNET NICs giving trouble... what did you really expect for those prices come on guys, cheaper does not equal better...

As for 3Com PCMCIA NICs never had any trouble with them, however I have had troubles with PCMCIA Slots on some laptops... Before you throw out a 3Com check your CardBus Drivers to ensure it can support the NIC. There are 32bit buses and 16buses and they are not compatible.

To be quite frank Melbarr I've used a few in Win9x without any issues, the first time I had any issue was with Win2K and then it only came about because of 2 in one comp. previously to putting in the second the one worked quite OK.

Yes it is true... cheap does not equal better ....

neither does .. expensive equal better!!! most times you end up paying for brand name only, not quality.

True true...

... strange enuff tho, the card that I love best and that gives me NOOOOO problems is one of (if not the) least expensive I've ever seen.

(Just 2 cents as usual.)

L8r

Which one is that odsmauels?

The RealTek NIC.... I have NEVER had any problem with this NIC... and I have stuck this in many a different kind of machine.

I hear thee loud and clear Odsamuels .. loud and clear ;D ;D