Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gentoo Founder Joins Microsoft

Ok Gillion you are right, I am wrong. I wanted to put an end to this but as you guys say companies are making money "off" opensource. I've always guided myself by www.opensource.org.
    He who hesitates, dies.

lets face it, most of the people on this forum use windows on a daily basis and most of those that run linux downloaded it free off the net.
    A large percentage of Windows based software is pirated. People don't pay for it either. At least people who download open source Linux are using it legally.

Now do you care to remind me what microsoft's marketshare is?
    The vast majority of non open source software companies don't make anything near what Microsoft makes.

Microsoft is the market leader. I have no problem with Microsoft. I use their software. All I am saying is that the use of Linux is growing. It has become a factor in the enterprise market. Red Hat's improved financial performance is evidence of that.

jamrock what you are saying is true, more and more people are using linux. don't get me wrong but i'm not pro-microsoft, it's just that i've reached the point where i believe that if people want to use microsoft's products then they should, afterall i don't believe that linux is for everyone. my whole trend is to never compare opensource and microsoft (financially) since i believe they both serve to completely different roles.
    He who hesitates, dies.

Here is an update to this story.

Daniel Robbins has resigned from Microsoft after less than a year.

"I didn't make the decision to leave Microsoft due to concerns about the company as a whole--Microsoft has just had a string of very successful product launches and I anticipate that it will continue to enjoy great success," he said.

"The reason I decided to leave had to do with my specific experiences working in Microsoft's Linux Lab. Although I believe that the concept behind Microsoft's Linux Lab is a good one, I wasn't able to work at my full level of technical ability and I found this frustrating," he said.

See the full story here:

http://news.com.com/Gentoo+Linux+fou...l?tag=nefd.top

Thats interesting. I'm glad he didn't have anything bad to say about M$.