Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo Founder Joins Microsoft

Quite disappointing news. At least, we can comfort ourselves in knowing it was not someone at the architecture-design level, like Linus. Now that would be some cause for concern.
    If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain
    - Morpheus, "The Matrix"

Quite disappointing news. At least, we can comfort ourselves in knowing it was not someone at the architecture-design level, like Linus. Now that would be some cause for concern.
    Perhaps we are seeing the evolution of Microsoft's strategy to combat open source. Look at this report on Microsoft and LAMP and think of it in the context of Daniel Robbin's recent employment.

Microsoft really needs to understand open source if it is to compete with it.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+looks+...?tag=nefd.lede

As I said earlier "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"
    Last edited by jamrock; Jun 19, 2005 at 10:30 AM.

Once again the movie "AntiTrust" speaks. I wonder how the company got this guy to switch over?

And about my opensource opinion come on guys we all undoubtedly know that none of the linux distributions produce figures close to microsoft's. I fact I've never paid for anything opensource (I would like to know anyone who did) and I've always seen it as a "knowledge belongs to the world thing". So if companies are selling linux distrubutions and making money then I was wrong. I've always thought that these guys just made money off donations.

So why did the gentoo guy leave after all if opensource is making money?
    Last edited by cipher; Jun 19, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
    He who hesitates, dies.

And about my opensource opinion come on guys we all undoubtedly know that none of the linux distributions produce figures close to microsoft's.
    I can think of a lot of profitable, non open source companies that don't produce figures close to Microsoft's. Should they close down? That would eliminate a big chunk of the world wide software industry.

So if companies are selling linux distrubutions and making money then I was wrong. I've always thought that these guys just made money off donations.
    You were wrong. In addition IBM makes a ton load of money implementing and supporting open source software via their services division. So does HP.

Lou Gestener started the process of turning IBM away from a hardware company to a services company. Remember that IBM purchased Price Waterhouse's consultancy arm a few years ago.

Oracle's profits have been significantly improved by sales of Oracle database for Linux.

Dell sells lots of servers with Red Hat and Suse installed. A lot of these servers are used to host web based applications.

So why did the gentoo guy leave after all if opensource is making money?
    People change jobs for a variety of reasons including money. The work on Gentoo is done by unpaid volunteers as far as I know. It was never designed as a money making venture.

Some open source products are for profit and some are not. Some projects give away the software free and make money on consultancy and book sales.

There are several open source models.

There are people on the forum who continue to make money from writing programmes with open source tools. Some make money from implementing open source solutions.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jun 19, 2005 at 02:23 PM.

yea look at it this way. if m$ was to offer any of us here a job (something in our respective fields or close to it) would any of us hesitate ??

i know i wouldn't, id start packing right away

yea look at it this way. if m$ was to offer any of us here a job (something in our respective fields or close to it) would any of us hesitate ??

I am sure it would be very good experience. Just imagine having access to so much information about how Windows applications work.

I'll be honest, I would pack too and leave too, but if I truly believe in some opensource project that I may have, I won't go.
    He who hesitates, dies.

This is another classical example of "money talks". At the end of the day it's only the people that really believe in opensource that stay with it... as a side hobby. I mean come on, it's virtually impossible for someone to make money off opensource. That's why I see it as a hobbyist thing.
    Hey Cipher,

I found some evidence for you. Red Hat's first quarter revenue has increased by 46%. The stock went up by 9% on the news.

Linux is becoming more and more popular. Companies are making money from Linux. Here are two reports

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1833906,00.asp

http://news.com.com/Red+Hat+revenue+...l?tag=nefd.top

Hey Cipher,

I found some evidence for you. Red Hat's first quarter revenue has increased by 46%. The stock went up by 9% on the news.

Linux is becoming more and more popular. Companies are making money from Linux. Here are two reports
    Now do you care to remind me what microsoft's marketshare is? I'm not saying that people can't make money from linux but lets face it, most of the people on this forum use windows on a daily basis and most of those that run linux downloaded it free off the net.
    He who hesitates, dies.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher
    Now do you care to remind me what microsoft's marketshare is? I'm not saying that people can't make money from linux but lets face it, most of the people on this forum use windows on a daily basis and most of those that run linux downloaded it free off the net.
    Huh ?

Your not saying what ?

Quote Originally Posted by cipher
    This is another classical example of "money talks". At the end of the day it's only the people that really believe in opensource that stay with it... as a side hobby. I mean come on, it's virtually impossible for someone to make money off opensource. That's why I see it as a hobbyist thing.
    See the word in red .... it conflicts with what you are saying now.

And I have bought myself distros and opensource addons... including copies of Redhat, Mandrake and even OpenSoundSystem drivers and Conextant modem drivers.

</p></div></div>
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.