Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSN Messenger virus or what?

Quote Originally Posted by kev1_mc
    What u r saying is that both use the same update features? i find that 2 be unlikely, as each prompt is link 2 different sites supporting the different programs. I think the update prompt for windows messenger will only come up if there is a new up date for windows messenger, and the msn messenger prompt will only come up if there is a new msn messenger out.
    If the update that he was getting was saying that is windows messenger need updating, and he installed a new version of msn messenger, he would still be getting the prompt about the new windows messenger.
    Yup, I concur. Windows Messenger and MSN messenger are different programs. Windows Messenger is the one that no practically uses. It's pretty much the same as MSN Messenger but without the bells whistles. I think he might have signed into Windows Messenger once and didn't update it when requested.

Try signing into Windows Messenger and perform the update. Make sure you don't set it to save your password because it has a habit of signing in if MSN Messenger is not active.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

i'm not sure, but isnt Windows Messenger the older version of MSN Messenger..that it, is was called Windows Messenger before MSN Messenger
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

Nope. Windows messenger is the one included in xp install.
    I dream in my dream all the dreams of the other dreamers and I become the other dreamers.
    1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Quote Originally Posted by juba
    oh, thanx for the link, all the time i thought it was just the first version of messenger then they changed the name from windows messenger to msn messenger
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

What I was referring to is that both programs are capable of notifying u of updates, I never said they used the same update engine.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Hence why he asked which one was it which was a valid question. Windows messenger is OS dependent while MSN messenger is net dependent. Windows messenger uses a different update engine than MSN. There should be no updates out for MSN 7 except maybe some patch but Windows messenger may be due one. So....if he downloaded MSN messenger and inadvertently signed in with Windows messenger, it will continue to ask for an update.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate