Thread: PS3 to Run Linux

Default PS3 to Run Linux

Kutaragi (Sony Computer Entertainment president) disclosed that he plans to install the Linux operating system on the PS3's hard disc drive (HDD) so it will be recognized as a computer, rather than a mere console.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6127219.html
    Calm Like a BOMB

Sweet.. Linux on the cell processor.. sweet I can build a server on that or use it as a pc I think? he mentioned that it is possible for Mac OS and Windows to run on it.. I wonder if thats through emultaion cause I know Microsoft would not recode its OS to run on PS3.

i guess sony isn't satisfied with 'media hub' or console they got to go all out to fall into computer territory, doubt i'll be surfing the web, typing a document or checking my e-mail on my ps3 but it's nice to know that i could if i wanted too.

Some how I think Microsoft and their Xbox 360 won't be so enthused about this.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

talk about a low blow

ouch that suppose to connect!

i can almost hear M$ and it's allies making battle plans

hold on to your hats gentlemen i sense a "real" war in the future of console gaming

*announcer voice*

in one corner we have Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, with all it's branches and subsidiaries it easyly weighs in somewhere in the tens of billions and don't forget it's alliances with the likes of toshiba and panasonic

and in the other corner we have the largest software company in the world ladies and gentlemen, who's cofounder alone weighs in in the tens of billions, plus they have a history of killing off competing products cough netscape cough apple cough corel cough

this is the fight of the century, stay tune for details as the battle rages on

*announcer voice*

seiously though

MS suppose to be seeing red right now
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

This is another wait and see thing. Words are cheap these days, actions are a premium.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

i almost forgot about the microsoft office / corel situation, lol.
    on topic, i think what was announced for xbox 360 and it's connectivety to PCs and networks is more than enough to compete agains a linux based os on a console. can't really see it as selling point for ps3 but who knows?