Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My windows just up and died

Default My windows just up and died

Anybody ever experience this before?

I poped a DVD into my DVD Drive, but it wouldn't play in PowerDVD. I removed the disk and the DVD Drive disapeared from My Computer. ( I seen that happen on other computers b4 - nothing to worry about - so I thought).

I then proceeded to burn an image of SUSE (Linux) from the C:/ drive unto a CD using NERO 6. Worked fine. Removes the CD, Shut down the PC and went away. Came back and turned it back on - and it Blue Screened! Try to restart in safe mode - Blue Screen! Removed the DVD Drive and Still Blue Screen. Removes the CD Drive as well and well - you get the picture. Poped in the windows xp CD and tried to reinstall (recovery console didn't help one bit) - my only options were to format the partition (C:/ - my 60 Gb WD has 4 partitions) in NTFS and FAT32.

Formated (quick at first ) to NTFS (C:/ showed as unrecognised file format) started setting up, installing devices, then - you guesed it- BLUE SCREEN! Formatted again (full - NTFS) and an exact repeat!

Now I have lost all my files from C:/ including some mp3's (Silk riddim, footsteps etc).

Set up SUSE just to see, and it runs perfectly.

I am sticking with Linux.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

what was the error code in the blue screen if you remember?

no ive never heard of that happening before, but as long as SuSE meets all of your computing needs, then you've made the right choice.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Can't loose with SuSE..i made the switch
    Jazz is the teacher.. Funk is the preacher

Quote Originally Posted by Krems
    what was the error code in the blue screen if you remember?
    No I dont remember the code. Wolud that have helped? from past experiences, I think not.

The stupid thing even blue screened during setup!

Say I know this is off topic, but can I set up XP (on a different partition) now that I have SUSE and get the dual boot option?

Yeah, the error message would help. If it was a pagefault in no page I could help you. If you got the blue screen during install that is a hardware problem. My advise - read the error message you might recognize something in it and be able to do a research on it.
    I dream in my dream all the dreams of the other dreamers and I become the other dreamers.
    1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Dude...you were jumpy. All you had to do was make note of the code on the blue screen. Then you know is its a DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_EQUAL or some boot problem. Either way, if its a blue screen, it usually can be fixed. It's when it don't start up you ahve a problem

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Soul
    Yeah, the error message would help. If it was a pagefault in no page I could help you. If you got the blue screen during install that is a hardware problem. My advise - read the error message you might recognize something in it and be able to do a research on it.
    OK Soul,

here it is:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
    **** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE11FB3F4, 0xC000000E, 0xBF8ED7DD, 0x048EB860)
    blah, blah , blah
    ...windows has been shut down to prevent...
    blah, blah , blah
    win32k.sys - Address BF8ED7DD BASE AT BF800000, DateStamp 3b7de698)

blah, blah , blah
    ...contact your system administrator...
    blah, blah , blah

Thats during the setup of win xp.

I had that before. I remember coming on TechJam with that very same problem. Now that you mention it....it's very familiar. I'm not sure what I did to get rid of it. Try reading this thread. I'm not sure I remember what I did....seriously....but I fixed it none the less.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

quiksilver Guest

blue screen while installing windows?hmm...if that's the case then, don't rule out the possibility of a memory problem. Then again that might not be the case if SuSe is working properly.
    just an opinion.