Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how flexible is vb when it comes on to creating gui

Quote Originally Posted by raychen
    Leo what was the hardest paradigm to get programmers to understand,
    com+ and Dcom programming in C++(ATL) and VB dont get it twisted if you are doing something meaning full in VB and using the full functionality of the language it can take time.
    I am not too sure what ur saying here. paradigm? as in functional vs object oriented programming?

If I am going to code something in vb the requires a lot of com+ or interfacing with whatever It is best you just consider doing it in C or C++(MFC, ATL), etc...

Threading in VB.net was a single apartment model but VB.NET is free threaded like C++ no message queues,C# and VB.NET execute at the same rate.
    uhmm I know that, I did say I consider VB.Net as Equals to C#. I prefer C# only because I'm more familiar with the syntax. It is a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 3, 2005 at 08:02 AM.

keroed1 Guest

i must agree about the dim i as integer crap integer i sounds much more logical or prob. because i learned c first

@ghetto_nerd yow my yute can u send some info or example as to how to do it exactly would greatly appreciate the help

Leo forget those comparative language courses one bit,paradigm can also speak to distributed dcom,corba etc versus non-distributed client server apps and the Tier level in those apps. any way com+ programming VB is difficult and you need skill because tis threading model is inferior to those found in Visual C++.
    So if you are infering that VB is for unskilled programers you are wrong a VB programmer today doing DCOM commands atleast 75k in the US due to the complexity involved.

keroed1 Guest

@leondru

yeah understand what u said i just want to be versital in as much more programs as possible so that any company i enter i can be versitile enough to operate efficently>>>>>>>and the system i am building is just a software for my final major for one of my course called software design

Leo forget those comparative language courses one bit,paradigm can also speak to distributed dcom,corba etc versus non-distributed client server apps and the Tier level in those apps. any way com+ programming VB is difficult and you need skill because tis threading model is inferior to those found in Visual C++.
    So if you are infering that VB is for unskilled programers you are wrong a VB programmer today doing DCOM commands atleast 75k in the US due to the complexity involved.
    Ok I get it. I didn't get my first few jobs cuz I didn't have VB skills. I didn't mind anyways cause I knew I wouldn't have liked them very much. Anyways maybe I need to go somewhere were I can see real VB programmers in action, I take your word for it though.

@leondru

yeah understand what u said i just want to be versital in as much more programs as possible so that any company i enter i can be versitile enough to operate efficently>>>>>>>and the system i am building is just a software for my final major for one of my course called software design
    UTECH Student? In that case Im happy cause you must have went though C, C++ and Java Before. I am assuming you have a solid programming background? your good to go then you can learn and master any other language.
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 3, 2005 at 09:26 AM.

keroed1 Guest

yeah man i got all of that first and i agree that the best route is to teach those first to any begining programmer

Its funny to see programmers still fighting over which language is better, c , c++ vb6 vb.net and c#. vb.net and c# are the same, they both compile to Microsoft Intermediate lanaguage, where c# may have 2 assembly lines less in a procedure which makes a big difference on a 3 ghz machine. c++ and its memory leaks man im sure glad when i didnt have to worry about that since .net has built in gabage collection. comming from somebody who did assembly c++, vb.net, java , c#, i stick with the language that pays the most money and if u look on the job listing for companies that pay 80k usd or more, its .net and mcad qualified programmers that are in demand. my suggestion is stop braggin who is the better programmer and help out ur fellow jamaican achieve good programming skills. Note: I would rather spend 2 seconds to drag a button on a UI than spend 30 minutes with MFC's
    "A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street."

Well you write with VB.net C# comparison.But i dont believe money should be the main driver in choosing a language its up to what you love,if into R&D then VB.NET or C# dont cut it.

Micorsoft dont hire Vb or VB.NET programmers they only Hire C,C++ and a few C# people because VB/.NET is not suited to build apps that need to manipulate the underlying metal directly.

But to be honest a man got to eat so if you want to bling you have to
    CString.

Sure thats true about C++ if you like designing compilers, software that manipulates the actual processor actions or system hardware at the very lowest levels. How many of us 'Programmers' actually like that stuff. Only a selected few, hats off to you guys, i use to be interested in that side of programming but then i preferred RAD approch. It was easier and i had more time to do stuff. Love cant pay the bills man.
    "A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street."

keroed1 Guest

lol i gues is good its agree that everybody is right in their from the point of view they are taking but wat the hell bu fi real we just need to share knowledge each other increase in our programming ability