Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how flexible is vb when it comes on to creating gui

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    but i'm a bit more hesitant to throw fire on vb based of my inexperience with vb.net i've really not used the language so icant pass much judgement on it.
    I would consider Vb.Net equal to C# in the .Net respects but I'll flame it because it keep the old syntax from VB6 also C# was designed from the ground up for .Net while Vb.Net is patch work from the old VB.

Dim i as Integer (makes me sick)

int i (now ur talking)

yeh that always did feel wrong. dim i as int, foat, double what ever. it just never felt right. as a result of not liking vb i get ended up not liking other things example asp due to vbscript usage in it.i know i can use javascript or even c# but everywhere i look they usng vbscript in the tutes. asp is as ugly as vb is to me php and c++ [ your realize the syntax for the to are similary too that is php and c++ ]

Why do real programmers not use VB ? i really dont get that statement

VB.Net and C# were built for different purposes

VB.net is a truly OO language

VB6 had OO capabilites but you are not bound to them,you have classes etc and you can "simulate" inheritance but it was not forced on the crowd.

VB6 you could access hardware via WIN32 API functions,the problem is that it appeals to the skilled and the unskilled and it leads the person who think he is skilled to believe that it is not capable of delivering good apps.

If i say write a device driver you would say C++,C++ but guess what but VB is used via interop to program drivers you are using today.
    Last edited by raychen; Jun 2, 2005 at 04:32 PM.

hmm as i said before the only reason i see people use vb most of the tiem is its easier. and for R.A.D

VB because is "limited", A simple thing as creating a managing a thread will have to be done via com interop. you mention about writing devices drivers with vb but how much of it is really VB? Think about it.

Don't get me wrong I would use apps written in VB as long as it does what its suppose to do. Its just not my thing when it come to coding.
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 2, 2005 at 07:12 PM.

keroed1 Guest

oh ok then cool i guess u kinda right but then for example sometime when u r under constraints u just want to creat a r.a.d system in which u dont have to spend a lot of times worrying about how the front end looks just fast quickly and easily done

I have programmed in C, C++, Java, visual C++, a whole host of web development language, ASP.net, VB6, VB.net and recently a little PHP, my favorite of them all is VB.net.. call me lazy if u wish. But VB.net is the best language/tool I have seen. I hate C++ and C, because of the DOS looking screen, just the thought of sitting in front of the Dos looking screen gives me a headache. People who say VB.net do the program for them and there is no real programming involve are not hardcore VB programmers and is merely doing some school projects. Plus VB.net is much easier to learn and if the users of your system are windows user the GUI will be second nature to them.

@Keroed1.. I don’t know if VB.Net has flash built into it. However I know for a fact that you can create your file in Flash and export it as an animated gif file and attach it to a VB.net form, set that form as your start up form and you have your splash screen. Please note: that you will need to do some coding for the slash screen to work properly. E.g. setting the delay time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto_Nerd
    @Keroed1.. I don’t know if VB.Net has flash built into it. However I know for a fact that you can create your file in Flash and export it as an animated gif file and attach it to a VB.net form, set that form as your start up form and you have your splash screen. Please note: that you will need to do some coding for the slash screen to work properly. E.g. setting the delay time etc.
    No need for all of that, you can turn a Windows form into a flash player by using the TlbImp.exe from the .net sdk to generate a .net library from the flash active x control. You will get a dll file that links directly to the flash active x, optionally u will also get the source code for the dll's implmentation incase you need to do things differently.

Here is an example in C# I could not find any using VB.Net but I am sure the exapmle project could be created in VB.Net.

http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/21033/1954?pf=true

I Did this with C# and I must say that it was really cool. With that u can play any flash animation in a .Net program.

I am going to say one final thing about VB that you guys may not like but it is still my opinion and I wish not to have a debate about it either.

VB is an attempt to enable programming by non-programmers and under-skilled programmers. Far too many programmers lack the skills to program in any language. In particular, a shocking number don't really know how to think clearly and methodically. Let's leave real programming to real programmers.
    That said, tools that make real programmers more productive are worthwhile. Such tools include GUI builders for some (though I personally prefer to create Java GUIs in code).

Where does all this leave VB? It's not good for beginners because it teaches bad habits and anyone "beginner" enough to require it shouldn't be doing real programming.

There I said it.. now sue me
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 3, 2005 at 05:16 AM.

@keroed1

I am not trying to discourgae you away from VB or anything like that cause I did give you my earlier opinion which was to learn VB.Net. I work with ppl that code in VB only and I still appreciate what they can do with it. Anyways I wish you all the best with your programming endeavors.

Leo what was the hardest paradigm to get programmers to understand,
    com+ and Dcom programming in C++(ATL) and VB dont get it twisted if you are doing something meaning full in VB and using the full functionality of the language it can take time.

Threading in VB.net was a single apartment model but VB.NET is free threaded like C++ no message queues,C# and VB.NET execute at the same rate.