Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: asp newbie

Well, check it out let me know how it works for you.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    You do notice he said he downloaded MS SQL Desktop Edition right? And not MySQL?
    MY BAD never notice the fine print

it works i just used it to create a few tables.

hmm i'm getting this error when i try connecting to a dbase

Code:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
    Login failed for user 'username'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
    now i know what it means basically username and password is wrong the thing is with the mssql desktop edition i really didn't remember setting a password during install. could somebody please shed somelight on this situation. is there a default is there a way to set one. no i figured maybe i could set it from the master table that comesalong with mssql but i really didn't see ne thing like a user or grant table in there so i'm not sure. some help please.
    Last edited by death_knight; Jun 17, 2005 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    hmm i'm getting this error when i try connecting to a dbase

Code:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
    Login failed for user 'username'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
    now i know what it means basically username and password is wrong the thing is with the mssql desktop edition i really didn't remember setting a password during install. could somebody please shed somelight on this situation. is there a default is there a way to set one. no i figured maybe i could set it from the master table that comesalong with mssql but i really didn't see ne thing like a user or grant table in there so i'm not sure. some help please.

You are having trust issues. The source of you request needs to be trusted by your sql server. Can you establish trust between client and server?
    I have within me the blood of kings....take me to the leader of your world.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    The default username to connect to the SQL Server is 'sa'. To set a password for the 'sa' account you have to run the setup via the command line, and pass the password to the setup file.

Taken from this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stsql_84xl.asp here are the instructions for specifying the password on setup:

A. INSTALL A NEW INSTANCE OF MSDE 2000

These examples will install a new instance of MSDE 2000 SP3a that has been configured with its network connectivity disabled. If the instance must accept connections from applications running on other computers, also specify DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0.

These examples install instances using the defaults for all configuration items such as collation and file locations. The configurations can be controlled by setup parameters, such as COLLATION, DATADIR, and TARGETDIR.

1. Open a command prompt window.

2. From the command prompt, use the cd command to navigate to the folder containing the MSDE 2000 SP3a setup utility:

cd c:\MSDESP3aFolder\MSDE

where c:\MSDESP3aFolder is either the path to the folder into which you extracted the MSDE 2000 SP3a files, or the Desktop Engine SP3a folder on the SQL Server 2000 SP3a CD.
    3. Execute one of the following commands:
    * To install a default instance configured to use Windows Authentication Mode, execute:

setup SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login.
    * To install a named instance configured to use Windows Authentication Mode, execute:

setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login and InstanceName is the name to be assigned to the instance.
    * To install a default instance configured to use Mixed Mode, execute:

setup SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd" SECURITYMODE=SQL

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login.
    * To install a named instance configured to use Mixed Mode, execute:

setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login and InstanceName is the name to be assigned to the instance.

Important If you are using an .ini file during setup, avoid storing credentials in the .ini file.

Important Always specify a strong password for the sa login, even when the instance is configured to use Windows Authentication Mode.

jah know yute thanks alot i've been thinking that its really odd that i didn't get to set it during set up.

k check this i was using another system with mssql pre installed but now i'm back on my notebook with the project. now arch i did that setup sapwd parameter and when i'm finished and try my script i get the following error saying 'basically the same as before'

Code:
    Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
    the thing is last time sa didn't fail because it wasn't associated with a trusted account it failed because i didn't have a password for it. [ i did not use the sapwd parameter the first time i installed mssql ] now that i have used it, apparrantly its as if that sa account isn't there [ no such user ]

UPDATE:
    _________

i just read someting saying i may need to change the securitymode to sql which would mssql to user both sql and windows authentification but it fails when i try from cmd prompt. it says invalid instalce name after i run the commands Setup SECURITYMODE=SQL
    Last edited by death_knight; Jun 24, 2005 at 04:06 PM.

It might be because you're using Windows Authentication mode. There are 2 security modes used to login to the SQL Server: Windows Authentication mode and SQL Server Authentication. The default is Windows Authentication.

From what I have read in MS Knowledge Base, if you get this error, you need to change your security mode to SQL (or Mixed Mode) which uses both security modes to access the sql server.

You can do this without reinstalling MS SQL. (thank goodness)
    See this MS Article for more info on how to do it. It's going to require a registry hack.
    How to Determine or Change Your Authentication Mode.

thanks for the quick reply before i could do an update to my post you replied. i read it also but they didn't show how to change it except through the msdos prompt and it was failing saying invalid instance.