Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: asp newbie

the guy insists that its done in asp because he got some work done on it already and he started with asp so he wanted to continue with it. i've already read the entire w3schools tutorial on asp they didn't show much on how to connect to databases though thatswhy i had to ask here. thanks for the offer might take you up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    respect arch. um question though regarding the keywords

is the PROVIDER keyword for the type of database. what is sqloledb "well really its the 'ole' that i'm unsure of" the rest i figured out.
    The PROVIDER keyword tells the ADO API what data provider to use to connect to the database. The SQLOLEDB provider uses the OLE DB interface to connect to the SQL Server database.

You can also use the ODBC interface to access a SQL Server database but peformance wise, it adds additional overhead. OLE DB interfaces directly with the database. Going through ODBC just adds another layer to go through before reaching the database.

ODBC connection example:
    Code:
    Set cnn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cnn.open "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=sqlservername;UID=username;PWD=password;DATABASE=mydatabasename"
    The MSDASQL provider is the default provider. So you can omit it from the connection string. But if you're using OLE DB to connect to the database, use the SQLOLEDB provider.

Here are the different providers:
    MSDN Appendix A: Providers
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

thanks again mr asp guru i'll see what i can do with that ifno and thanks for the msdn link.

thanks again mr asp guru i'll see what i can do with that ifno and thanks for the msdn link.
    Anytime mr asp newbie.

k i installed mssqldesktop edition today right and after the installer finished unpacking it just finished and nothing happened. nothing popped up nothing at all. no i assume i need a gui client to manipulate mssql or use the client from dos using sql syntax. what i'ld like to know is how i start the service etc.

k i installed mssqldesktop edition today right and after the installer finished unpacking it just finished and nothing happened. nothing popped up nothing at all. no i assume i need a gui client to manipulate mssql or use the client from dos using sql syntax. what i'ld like to know is how i start the service etc.
    There should be a shortcut to the SQL Service Manager in your All Programs menu. My shortcut takes me to:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe" /n

This starts the sql service. An icon shows up in the taskbar which shows me the status of the sql server.

Unfortunetly, there is no GUI that cames with the MSSQL Desktop edition. If you find one, let me know.

DK make sure the service is running (look for the stop light on you taskbar ) I suggest you get a gui tool if your in a rush or you already know the basic download mysql control center or download phpmyadmin and connect to mysql via your browser and enter your data there

Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker
    DK make sure the service is running (look for the stop light on you taskbar ) I suggest you get a gui tool if your in a rush or you already know the basic download mysql control center or download phpmyadmin and connect to mysql via your browser and enter your data there
    You do notice he said he downloaded MS SQL Desktop Edition right? And not MySQL?

This guy that you are developing for must really like spending money... if he is going to move to asp.net why not do it now? asp 3.0 is very different from asp.net. you will pretty much have to rebuild the entire web application from scratch.

If you can get a copy of SQL Server standard, then I recomend you get rid of MSDE. you can use enterprise manager and SQL analyzer to Graphically manage SQL server (they are both packaged with a standard copy of SQL Server).
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    There should be a shortcut to the SQL Service Manager in your All Programs menu. My shortcut takes me to:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe" /n

This starts the sql service. An icon shows up in the taskbar which shows me the status of the sql server.

Unfortunetly, there is no GUI that cames with the MSSQL Desktop edition. If you find one, let me know.
    thanks for the path the shortcuts weren't there.and it ended so abrubtly i was wondering if even installed in the first place.

i found something called ems [mssql gui] that seemed like it could work however i'm not sure if it works with mssql explicitly or the destop edition would be included as well. i figure it would seeing its an mssql client.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/EMS...mssqllite.html

check it out if you like.