Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Web Mail Server

Default Re:Web Mail Server

Tech_Guru,

How does the process work?

When you purchase an ADSL line from Cable and Wireless, how many I.P. addresses do you get?

He now uses one I.P. address for internet access. Will he get another for the mail server? Will he have to use the same machine for both services?

Do most companies use more than one machine?

you could have dedicated ip addy's for particular things but it aint necc.
    its just another service. all it will do is compete for bandwidth and mail isnt that intensive. really, you will tend to have different ports and thats all that will matter as far as i can tell from experience. like mail runs on 115 or 113 and 25. ftp on 21, web on 80 or 8080 etc etc....the ip is just the house number where the milkman, paperboy and postman all show up. ;D

its just another service. all it will do is compete for bandwidth and mail isnt that intensive. really, you will tend to have different ports and thats all that will matter as far as i can tell from experience.
    I guess you are assuming that he is using a single box. If that is so, he will need to use I.P. masquerading and mail programmes that run on the same O/S.

My guess is that he is using a Windows box now. He either has to use a Windows email programme ($$$$) or switch to a Linux box and use Squid, Firestarter or something like that along with Sendmail or qmail.

If he wants to use Linux he will have to get help since he doesn't have a working knowledge of it.

Clearly, he needs to think the whole thing through. Tech_Guru's suggestion about setting up a test environment makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, Hoping to run it on a linux though, so I am going to setup a amd system for it.

[quote author=jamrock link=board=26;threadid=1274;start=30#msg14314 date=1060526020]
    Tech_Guru,

How does the process work?

When you purchase an ADSL line from Cable and Wireless, how many I.P. addresses do you get?

He now uses one I.P. address for internet access. Will he get another for the mail server? Will he have to use the same machine for both services?

Do most companies use more than one machine?
    [/quote]

The normal ADSL account comes with one static IP..........
    You may purchase a bundle of IPs but this is way costly IMHO.........

He should be able to use the same IP for his new Mail Server........

If he has a Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL Modem there is a feature which allows you to publish an Internal Server............i.e -- (Default Server) Basically he can setup his Linux Server on his lan with private IP........Publish same IP on Linux PC as Default Server in ADSL Modem......

Any inbound web requests are sent to the Default Server and Outbound replies are sent thru Public IP..........

Benefit......... No need to change current LAN Setup..........

Linval,

I have been talking with some administrators today.

Looking at the prices offered by Cable and Wireless I am assuming that your package offers a dynamic I.P. address. I know that the one with the fixed I.P. address is out of my reach.

I can think of two options...

You could use a service that keeps track of your machine's I.P. address. Two links have been posted.

Secondly, you could set up a store and forward mail server.

The latter is a popular choice and a number of well known companies use it. They pay a company to host their email. The monthly costs appear to be reasonable.

They have a mail programme such as Exchange or Qmail on their LAN. They configure an add-on product to transfer mail from the hosting company to Exchange/qmail every 15 minutes or so. The users on the LAN then transfer their mail from Exchange/qmail to their workstations.

They still get to use an email address with the name of their company. To the outside world, they appear to be a big company hosting their own mail servers.