Thread: War Of Worlds

Default War Of Worlds

k so is this like another
    minority report movie?
    cu si loved minority report and i would watch a movie of similar tastes again
    th epreview never 3 jump at me but a fren be saying dat after star wars dats all left to watch for the year, or atleats on his waiting list
    suh wat yall think
    "Dont watch me ... watch TV"

I dont know about this one but can anyone remember a similar named series that ran? It was about aliens that came to take over earth and they did so by entering into people.

I remember staying up late to watch War of The Worlds on Thursday nights....!! One of the best series that used to appear on tv.
    There was also the original movie which was black and white, not so good to me though....but good nontheless.
    Calm Like a BOMB

Cler1c, Matronyx

- War of the Worlds is a H.G. Wells classic novel that is being converted to the big screen for the second time. The original novel was a monster hit back in the late 19th and early 20th century. It is based on scientific observation of the planet Mars and the possibility that life once existed on it. Back in the 1920's, there was a media blitz about water trenches being discovered on Mars (via Telescope). This lead to years of media treatment in cartoons, movies, books, television series, radio shows, etc. etc. about little green men with rayguns invading earth. War of the Worlds is the most famous piece of work to come out of that blitz.

The first movie was released in 1953. It wasn't a black and white movie. It was full colour actually. The television series ran in 1988 as a late sequel to the 1953 movie. The first film was actually quite good. The plotline is fairly simple:

A meteorite crash lands on earth, but doesn't leave much of a crater, nor does it disintegrate. This spurns the attention of curious onlookers. It later turns out that the meteorite isn't a rock at all. It's an encasing for a space ship. Soon more meteorites start crash landing on earth - all over earth. And more space ships start emerging from them. Soon, the world is engulfed in flames as the ships wreak havoc all over earth. No form of conventional or nuclear weaponry can stop the aliens' craft. The movie ends where the ships fall from the sky, as the bacteria in our atmosphere prove to be poisonous to the aliens.

Now that Stephen Spielburg is at the helm, this makes this movie a must see. Spielburg is the same director that brought us such blockbuster hits as:

- Catch Me if you can (2002)
    - Minority Report (2002)
    - Band of Brothers (2001)
    - Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    - Jurassic Park (1993)
    - Schindler's List (1993)
    - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1983)
    - E.T. (Extra Terrestrial) (1982)
    - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1978)
    - Jaws (1975)
    - and many more...

Knowing his tenacity for producing blockbuster monster hit movies, it's a safe bet that his modern retelling of The War of the Worlds is likewise going to be a monster hit. Stephen Spielburg is regarded as the Midas of Hollywood. Almost every movie he makes becomes at least a 200 million dollar blockbuster. Therefore...

...I dunno bout you guys, but this one not missing me!

thanks for ur history lesson xeno, yeah we really luv those (6). i am lookin forward to this movie too
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

i couldn't really tell anything about the movie from the ad, don't know if that is good or bad, i don't even remember the original but i'm sure i'll watch it eventually

When the Scifi channel first premiered (was it that long ago??), they showed the entire War of the Worlds series, one episode every night. It was actually made in two series. Most of it was shot in Canada, if I remember correctly. Some people who watched the series may not have realised the series was a continuation of the 1953 movie and that the old lady in the series, Sylvia van Buren, was a character from the movie.