Thread: is there a future for applets on the web?

Default is there a future for applets on the web?

Hey All,
    I'm a student/java enthusiast and I was wondering what is the future for java applets on the web? the fact that they don't do much for loading time and have to be reloaded everytime the page it minimised. you see I'm a newbie and I don't know alot so I'd love to hear your veiws on this.

dfross

Default Re:is there a future for applets on the web?

Java won't get you anywhere in this life. Not even a payslip. Learn a server side language (PHP), a console mode language, like C or C++, and a low level language if you're serious.

Come on now CKnight, don't be so hard on Java applets. Despite Sun admitting that ASP is better than Java for the Web (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18996.html) I'm sure there's a place for Java applets.

Can someone provide me with a checklist of features worth noting in Java? I honestly can't think of any. (and that cross platform thing is nothing to gloat about anymore, many languages now hove it).

[quote author=CKnight link=board=10;threadid=126;start=0#635 date=1031586391]
    Can someone provide me with a checklist of features worth noting in Java? I honestly can't think of any. (and that cross platform thing is nothing to gloat about anymore, many languages now hove it).
    [/quote]

Hmmm.... let me get back to you on that :-X

fist java is more structured than microsoft platforms the weak typing and stuff is gone,the language forces u to implement solid oop code and in the event u ever reach the states u will see the true implementations of oop and and its importance

What Java had going for it was the crossplatform thingy. Nowadays everybody is going crossplatform (eg: Delphi for Windows was baptized into Linux as Kylix). The oop structure also forced programmers to be more organized - which is not a bad thing.

Athough Java is still popular in the States, listing the advantages of Java over other languages would be very tough nowadays. I would never take up the challenge.

No harm in learning Java. If you want to see power you need to check out Qt from troll tech (www.trolltech.com). Many have left Java to go to Qt (Qt is also cross platform). I have written small apps using Qt and I must say it is great.

If you want good/fast/powerful web pages use PHP. For good intranet and desktop apps go with Delphi.

Tsk tsk - there you PHP people go again - cant any of you recommend something oO cough Oo more oO cough Oo sensible oO cough Oo than PHP.

Perl is Very Nice. Java Applets have their place on the web depending on use. Applets are nice and better than scripts in a Chat Environment - it all depends on use and what suits you. Dont go with the hype. 8)

French, Spanish, Cantonese. The world is filled with languages. What we need is a fully accepted, universal language which will draw us all together under a global umbrella, and that language my friends, is PHP.

MOOOOOOOOORE HYPE!!!!!!!

Java applets use a security scheme that employs a "sandbox" to limit the applet's access to certain specific areas within the user's system....but the bad guys have figured out how to escape the "sandbox". Hard drives beware! In house programmers need to learn how to create trusted applets that provide digital signatures, then distribute the trusted applets within an intranet. Any one doing that out there?