Thread: Heres one for you Religious People.....

Red face Heres one for you Religious People.....

"......I have left no commandment but what I have commanded you, and I have given you no law, as the lawgiver did, lest you be bound by it."...
    I have a question.....
    Did the New testament make the laws of the Old testament null and void???

Dont think so, cuz most of what Jesus said could be found in the old testament. Most people used to hold on to things like and eye for an eye, but that was a different time, and Jesus came and said if your brother offends u 7x7 you should forgive him 7x7
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

Jesus said above all things, love your brother. if you look at all the things in the old testament you will see that all the sins do not involve love, so therefore the new testament encompasses the laws of the old
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Lightbulb

Jesus said he came to fulfill the law not abolish it (Matthew 5:17). However, there have been many discussions on the actual meaning of the original greek word for "fulfill". There is also the new covenant and the old covenant...in essence i guess you gotta ignore some of the laws and obey some... I'm still not 100% clear. please don't quote me on the "ignoring/obeying issue". But u can kinda see where some of the schools of thought are going. Case in point:

Old Covenant: You had to kill a lamb to "meet" with God for the atonement of sins
    New Covenant: Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice when he died on the cross. In any case we dont have enough livestock in Jamaica.

It is also safe to say Jesus kinda clarified alot of things the old testament said (i wouldnt call them commandments) like wat Juggernaut said.

The ten commandments still stand, however, for the rest, you have to know which ones were for the ISRAELITES (like the foods they were to eat). granted its not a sin to follow all these, but if u plan to - its all or nuthin, else u'll be commiting a sin. So fatten ure calves, no pork eating and u better be willing to give ALL of your first paycheck for the year to the church, AND observe the passover festival, just like the JEWS.

hope this isnt too long..and i dont mean to stir up trouble with NOBADDY, but thas what i got from it. I'm still praying for clarification.
    Last edited by chany86; May 19, 2005 at 03:09 PM.

here we go again........

Quote Originally Posted by Elzeus
    I have a question.....
    Did the New testament make the laws of the Old testament null and void???
    where was this quoted from?
    Nickname: Virus
    Education: B.Sc. Computer Information Science, Asc. Mass Communication, MCSD, MCSE and CCNA

In his last supper Jesus, said to his disciples "A new commandment I give onto you. Love you neighbour as yourself"
    Essentially as we see with most biblical sotries, the people of that time, were teaking the teachings of the old testement too seriously, and there was a bit of corruption in the church" We see these things in the Jesus speaking about the sabbath, the story of Mary Magdaline, etc etc.
    But Jesus came to clify the teachings as well as "fullfill" the old prophecy. The commandment of "love your neighbour as yourself" is not new, and is essential to any of God's teachings, but many people of the time did not realise this.

--Hope that clarifies it s a bit for you. Could post more if you have questions...
    He who knows not and knows he knows not is a child....teach him

......Yes teach me...

Cool Interesting Question

As everyone as been pointing out Jesus came to fulfil what was said in the Old Testiment. But most importantly he came to make a new covernant with man.

As was said earlier you had to kill your life stocks to shed your sins and back then only the priest could speak on your behalf. Jesus came and change all of that. Jesus was a child of God so he could ask his father for anything and that's why we all need to be like him to beable to ask God for what we want also.

In the Old Testiment the Israelites was in the wilderness for yours. In order for God to take care of them he had to make LAWS especially when it came on to food. Because living out in the wilderness you had to eat right to survive. That is why they live so long out there and they could also manage the journey.

Also continue from Matthew 5:17, read from 17 - 20 and that can also help.

Main things that should be kept is the commandments and there were new laws created with the new covernant.

God always wants to make a convernat with men it's just that he could hardly find anyone. So sending his Son was the only option he had left.
    TechNation JA :: Bring you eXplosive TechNology ::

Check out the new Technology Show, TECH IN TEN, every Wednesday @ 7:30pm on CTV.
    Or watch it LIVE at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ctvlive

I'm just a nobody telling everybody
    about Somebody who can save anybody.

Simple....the old laws still stand.....but he penalties for breaking them are not the same....well...they are. The wages of Sin is death. We no longer need animals to atone our sins. Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice. The price was paid....blood...his blood. The cultures of the Old Testament is what confuses alot of people. Most of the scriptures were directed to a particualr set of people because of their culture. This is why there is a huge division where observance of the sabbath and sunday keeping is a huge issue. People say that the old covenant was done away with....it was nailed to the crossed. The sabbath existed before the tend commandments. Case in point..."REMEMBER the sabbath day to keep it holy...." This is a new topic all together. Jesus kept the sabbath. Even after he was dead...he kept the sabbath.....just another example that the ten commandment is just a relevant today as it was then.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate