Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autism...Know anyone with it?

did anyone see the cnn special on autism yesterday. it featured a woman who is 26 and autistic, at the age of 11 psychiatrists realised her brain was fully functional but she couldnt express herself. she wrote the whole cnn program, she types to communicate with the outside world and is doing a history major in college
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

give the child plenty story books....show her how to read the words and letters etc...even though she wont respond...she may just pick up more than you can see.....

Default Autism

As with any impairment there is a wide range of functioning and symptoms. My son Robert is Autustic and was so when we adopted him at age 5. In Robbie's case he has a low level of functioning, but is perpetually observant of the world around him. Some say that there is almost a hypersensitivity to stimulus that causes a "shutting down" due to overstimulation. He loves consistancy and repetition. Once he gathed up the shoes of everyone in the house (8 people) and lined them up in a row in size order. His ability to learn new things seemed like a sealed bag of water. If you squeeze it in one part it bulges in another but the volume remains the same. If Robbie learned something new it was likely that he would lose or give up something he had previously learned.

Accept limitations, enjoy achievements no matter how small and above all love.

I dont' think I could manage a child with Autism and my utmost respect to the elders who do. I crave conversation and not being able to hear my son's voice would be beyond heart wrenching. I've seen documentaries and movies on this phenomena and often wondered, can anyone really measure their intellect?

I've been told that most cildren with autism are excetionally and extraordinarily intelligent. One man's son can only mimick everything he hears, however, puzzles, mazes, problems etc. are a breeze for him. He just cannot respond to a question. e.g. "Devon are you hungry?" The response: "Devon are you hungry?"

I'd have to tell my child every day, "I love you mommy" to have him respond, "I love you mommy" Sad.
    Last edited by Tamara; May 30, 2005 at 04:55 PM.

But Tamara...If you had a child who has it what would you do? Its here and its already yours...your flesh and blood, as painful as it is I would have to make it work...
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT
    But Tamara...If you had a child who has it what would you do? Its here and its already yours...your flesh and blood, as painful as it is I would have to make it work...
    Jugg, I would love my child. I would constantly be in pain. But what else could I do? I mean she's mine, healthy otherwise, I would just have to deal with not being able to talk to her about boys, about life, about little things. I'd have to deal with basically talking to a brick wall.

Well its among one of the many things aspiring parents fear, we can only hope that if it does happen their one of the few or lot that turn out to be ohh so smart
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

I learned in bio class about genetics and how simplest of changes to an allele can cause some form of mutation....not necessarily phenotypical (can be seen) but neural disorders. When my friend had her baby, I asked a bunch of questions like "has she deficated yet, does she have ten toes and fingers....etc". She thought I was being weird....but some of us don't know how fortunate we are....to have the capacity to learn, teach and relate to others. Jugger, I'm sure she'll make up to you in other ways for her lack of speech. Just appreciate the fact that she's here!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

I think the risk factors are all much more real now with all the different medications, foods, environmental hazards out there. When my sis had her baby, I checked everything I could see. Toes, fingers, nipples, ears, the face etc. [Same when my baby brother was born] After a few weeks I checked the navel, how often she took a crap, could she see yet? respond to sounds? have propoer hand eye coordination? Because I knew my sis would be hurt if anything were physically wrong with her first child. Now my niece is DA BOMB yeah yeah!!!! Even creeping now and once you call her name, even once, she looks around until she identifies you, then give you that no teeth, bear gums smile of hers.

pcchick Guest

Does anyone know the NEWEST medicine for autism? I am doing a reseach paper on it.