Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autism...Know anyone with it?

Red face Autism...Know anyone with it?

I have a little cousin with Autism , she is 3 yrs old. She doesn't talk and thus she doesn't learn much...well at least not by words. She does some things that makes me wonder sometimes. One time my aunt caught her in the bathroom putting on a pad...unwrapped and folded out in the correct possition and all and putting it on under her crotch...how she know all that i dont know, guess she just saw it and mimiced my aunt. One other time she was in the bathroom playing with a bar of soap; she waited till it was soft and then she used it to block up the face basin so the water can fill up so she can play in the water. Then last night she wanted juice and my aunt had some juice she mixed so she offered it to her...she didn't want it, so my aunt left her, minutes later she just started wonder where she was so she went to check...she saw her with a box juice that was high up in a cupboard. Above the sink and a tray with glass and plates...all was untouched not a sound was made but she got the juice she wanted.
    She is also quite athletic...she likes to run and jump like from the watnot to the couch to the bed...not touching the ground. Her latest project is to jump from the chester-draw which is close to the bed...backwards. The strange thing is she is rarely hurt doing stuff like this. She also like to use her building blocks as rolerblades, she just stands on them and slides.

She is a handfull. Sometimes people ask how we know when he is hungry or so, but if she wants anything she gets it, Somtimes without anyones help.

Her older brother who is 7 yrs old prays at night "GOD, please make Thalia (The little girls name) talk...". He loves his sis but he just wants her to talk.

I heard that James Earl Jones and Albert Einstein was Autistic.

She kool though, just a bit rude.
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

All small children are "rude"

As for autism...

In psychiatry, autism (called autistic disorder in the DSM) is considered a neurodevelopmental disorder that causes marked problems with social relatedness, communication, interest, and behavior. It is considered to be one of the five types of pervasive developmental disorders (or autism spectrum disorders).

Typical characteristics include great difficulty in communicating with others, inability to understand jokes or read between the lines, and a somewhat unintentional lack of consideration for those outside of their 'sensory independence'; their independent world.

Typically, autism spectrum disorders appear during the first three years of life. It is estimated that it occurs in approximately 4 to 12 in 10,000 individuals, and is 4 times more prevalent in males than females.

While certain (inconclusive) treatments for autism exist, it is widely considered that absolute cure from autism is impossible since it involves aspects of neurological brain structure determined very early in development.

Indeed, many autistic people (and some non-autistic allies) in the "autism rights movement" do not wish autism to be cured. They see autism not as a disorder but as a way of being, and see attempts to cure autism in the same light as an attempt to "cure" someone from any other minority group.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

People tend to have awful perceptions of autism.... without understanding it.

Autism presents in a wide degree, from those who are nearly dysfunctional and apparently mentally retarded to those whose symptoms are mild or remedied enough to appear unexceptional ('normal') to the general public. These autistic persons are often classified as "nerds" or "geeks" by their peers.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

hmmm interesting rather interesting. Honestly If I had a child with Autism I would be torn between having him/her treated and leaving him/her as is. I would always be thinking what happens when I die how will he/she be treated? Will they be treated as an equal or cast out. From your description of the kid juggernaut she is a treasure.
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

knowing someone on a personal level or have close family who has it...it can really open ur eyes, and she is a treasure, and she has the most beautiful smile, even though she has the attention spand of a small rodent, lol, she will see u hug you and thats it for you, thats all the attention u gonna get, unless u can do something for her. And she doesn't stick to people she wonders, especially when she is somewhere for the first time.
    Last edited by JUGGERNAUT; May 18, 2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: quote
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

people classified as nerds and geeks suffer from mild autism?! This reminds me
    of some paper I read a few years back that linked computers to autistic behaviours.

Of course I wouldnt be able to find it now but I am sure it is one of these.

pcchick Guest

I think I have just discovered my new topic for my oral presentation in Biology....AUTISM.
    Last edited by pcchick; May 29, 2005 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT
    she saw her with a box juice that was high up in a cupboard. Above the sink and a tray with glass and plates...all was untouched not a sound was made but she got the juice she wanted.
    I see she is an inovative little person my lil cuz would brake everything in his path, Seems to me that shes a bit independent at an early age.
    Limitless...

too Independent if u ask me....Just a little potty training and and she can soon be left at home by herself
    >>>>Buzz Buzz Inside<<<<

So she has gotten down how to deal with periods....but potty training is a doozey? Are you sure it's Autism? Suppose it's ADHD? Suppose she just doesn't feel like talking...yet. Is she a mute?

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate