Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would You Respond If Someone Tried to Hack You???

Default How would You Respond If Someone Tried to Hack You???

Just curious how you guys would react if someone tried to hack your computer system/network........

Would you setup rules to blockt that persons IP.........
    Would you send them email with a warning.......
    Would you sit back and watch your firewall/IDS do its work...........
    Would you retaliate with a Hack of your own..........

Some feedback here cause recently I have be seeing an increase in the amount of scans on my networks.......

Default Re:How would You Respond If Someone Tried to Hack You???

I would probably sit back and watch the firewall/IDS do its work for the time being. If the system was hacked, I would probably email him/her to say thanks for showing me the loop hole and then block that loop hole. :

your not wrong about the scans and they are increasing in frequency from the far east. before 911, neotrace had the facility to find a sat image oif where they were once you located the addy's address. i sent a guy a sat picture in korea, telling him to watch it or i just press my button....hehehe...
    spawns idea is cool if you happen to be watching the box. if they get in and yur not around, you just dont know what they got up to.
    personally, stndard security isnt bad and it does take someone really crafty to access. someone clever isnt too interested in a home comp unless he's building kudos with his mates so i dont worry.

The first thing I would do is to get their IP addy, block it. Then launch a DOS attack on that person (Ping of Death). The next day hack back him ratid, and change him wallpaper to a nasty one that I would create for him.

I would not send him any e-mail as he/she might sign me up for spam. >

block hacker's ip (if u think that will help) the hacker already has ur ip address ???

Spawn, no hacker is dumb enough to have his e-mail addy discernable. If this is the case, he's not a hacker. He's just a wannabe; A kid behind a pc who thinks because he knows how to use some ip scan tools, that makes him a hacker. Such fools are easy to kill.

Ropy, no hacker is dumb enough to launch an attack directly from his own personal PC. If this is the case, see above.

Willy, see above. You'd only be getting the ip address of the computer he is routing his attacks through.

When a hacker launches an attack, the first thing to do is trace the internet hops that his packets are coming from. Tracert is a good built in Windows tool (NT, 2000, XP). The ip address you get is usually from another machine, not his machine.

The next thing you had to do is to triangulate the area from which the signals originated. If he is smart, he won't use the same machine twice for launching the attack. So you have to establish a perimeter from which the attacks were launched. If he is not smart, then see the first paragraph of this post.

The machines that you trace the attack to would then have to be analysed for trojans. The trojans' activity would give you a single location for the attacks.

Deakie is also right. If you can get a sat image of the area that you trianglate, then it would be a good warning to the person that you know what they're up to. Discerning the IP address from the routed machine would give you several things:

• 1. The first three octets of the ip address gives you his domain address. Find the server with these octets, and you find his gateway to the net.

2. If you were FBI, you could get a warrant to have the ISP to submit the user names of all the persons who were online with his matching ip addy.

3. From this, you can get a physical street address from the ISP's customer database.

However, if the hacker stole the account, you're back to square one. :

A smart hacker is virtually untraceable. In other words, he neither uses his machine, nor his account to launch the attack. I've seen hackers route signals through servers in Australia to hit Yahoo with DOS attacks so that they could deface the Yahoo home page with the picture of a baby smoking a cigar.

He was so good, that the FBI couldn't trace him. Period. They kept triangulating the attacks as coming from Australia. However, the hacker was caught, but only because whe bragged about it in an IRC chatroom where FBI agents were secretly disguised.

If a really good hacker hits your system, you better be damn sure your security is tighter than a 12 year old virgin. There's not much you can do to trace him. All you'd be doing is hitting air, and wasting your time. Hoping that it's just another kid with some tools he didn't make, is always comforting though. ;D

igodit Guest

Xenocrates sounds like back in the day, but now most of the hackers caught are just script kiddies, running pre-defined hacks. The routed attacks of DOS has always been the point of attack, turning personal workstations and corporate servers into minions.

A few years ago when Netbus came out, that other tools like Back Orafice by cDc. The minion workstations and server we used like a cyber army to perform DOS. The best hacks are even done with computers but by simple interaction and dialogue.

I remember there was a documentary on famous hackers, and I'm not talking the big headliners like Kevin Mitnick. Simple hacks, there was one where this guy worked in a bank and they usually shouted account number from room to room. He noted some accounts and went to lunch and called in an account. Transfered money from accounts to one that he had opened.

Noone noticed the hack until he got turned in by his friend, after bragging about it.

I would run away. really. ;D plus my machine is always offline.

Fi real igodit, there is no real reason for a hard core hacker to just get up and hack a Jack or Jill’s machine. There is not kick in that. Only a script kiddie would do such a thing. Real hackers hack systems that others will hear about.

so who wha me hack dem den...as a script kiddie...fi fun? ;D
    of course your machine must be on and you gotta have all your security turned off. :P