Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How does an MP3 contain a Virus???

Default Re:How does an MP3 contain a Virus???

Xenocrates i understand u completely

Just an addendum to the post. A lot of the stream hacks are entirely dependent on exploitation of buffer overruns. The interesting thing about buffer overuns are that they are program dependent. If a particular MIME type is associated with a particular program that has that vulnerability it can be exploited. You will therefore find that such exploits tend to be program specific. Interestingly enough some of the more prevalently used programs tend to have very "loose" coding. Case in point being Micro$oft Media Player
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,51361,00.html

The fact that media player may be leveraged using a particular exploit doesn't mean that other media players will suffer from the same exploit.

What interprets code???

I have been reading throught this thread and I for one think that seeing is beleiving. Xeno could you upload or direct us to some proof of this. I'm not doubting what your saying but like to see things in motion, so could you upload an infected mp3 for us. Are u saying this is done the same way back-orifice binds mpeg/jpeg with an exe then simple create an example and upload

devnull - the OS reads the code. the code is just zeroes and ones... not if, then and else's - ok?

yogi_hm - Yes. It's the similar way that BO binds mpeg/jpegs with an exe. Yogi, if seeing is believing, then that implies you don't believe in God. We can logically discern that God is real. If you possess one shred of logic, it shouldn't be hard to see how this kind of hack is possible. Seeing is overrated, because even your eyes can be deceived.

If you notice folks, all of my ranting and banter makes reference to the past tense. I don't do that kinda thing anymore (I'm sure I've said this before). I was like 16 or 17 when I was doing this regularly. That's quite a few years ago. I no longer roam in those circles. Therefore I would not have that information on hand anymore. If you guys met me like several years ago, I would have been able to easily direct you to resources. I've long since left that ring, as I believe that hacking quantifies sabotage and it is not only illegal but unnecessary, childish and immature. So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help you guys to become evil ;D

But I'm telling you this because I know it can be done. At the time, the mp3 format wasn't popular (I'm not even sure mp3's existed back then). So we never tried it with mp3s. If we were able to get jpeg and mpeg files to carry the payload, I don't see why mp3s can't.

Furthermore, I would never post an example of a tagged file here. Not only is it impossible (the 45kb limit) but it is also incredibly STUPID. Chris and CKnight would have my @$$ for doing something like that. I'm sure you guys already know that. So don't ask. That's just a very stupid thing to do. >

Finally, like I've said before, I totally respect your positions on the matter. If I were in your position, I can easily see myself saying the same things. I can only tell you that it is possible. Whether you choose to believe or not, is really up to you. I'm not trying to get you to accept my point of view. I don't need you to, because I've done it many times before (why do I feel like I keep saying the same things over and over again?).

However fellas, your disbelief is idiosyncratic of the mass society who refuses to accept many undeniable truths, like the matrix origin of the AIDS virus. ;D Anyone who has played with low level programming using C/C++ would be able to easily see why this hack is possible.

Anyways, I really feel like I'm repeating myself unnecessarily, and that I've made one too many looong posts to this board, so I'm going to stop here. I'm getting a headache... :-\

And many false prophets (Xeno) shall rise, and shall deceive many.
    And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
    But he that shall endure unto the end (devnull), the same shall be saved.
    And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come to this thread.

;D

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=5;threadid=1247;start=30#msg11803 date=1058282284]
    devnull - the OS reads the code. the code is just zeroes and ones... not if, then and else's - ok?

No one expected you to upload your findings onto this site, simply point us[me=devnull]to the file. I have the Back Orifice program some where around the place but havent picked it up in a long time as well. Shouldnt be too hard to go back to it and discover that option.[/me]

[Still researching...][/quote]

Love your sense of humor TekGenie ;D

Xeno are just trying to tell us you cannot give us any proof? This a yes or no question (note the words "yes" and "no&quot

Thank you.... thank you very much.