Thread: Starlink Speed Tests Looking Promising

Default Starlink Speed Tests Looking Promising

At least 762 working Starlink satellites are in orbit right now. That represents more than one-quarter of all active spacecraft around the planet and nearly half of those in low-Earth orbit. While not enough to provide coverage around the world, Musk says it's plenty to kick off a full public beta test in North America in the next few months.
    link:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-st...110300099.html

speed test results
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...k_speed_tests/
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

That does look promising. How much is the monthly cost? What's the setup cost? Are the T&C any different from regular ISP ones? How is the privacy terms?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

One thing I have learned from the few ISP launches I have been a part of is a Speedtest means nothing without active users and right now they don't have enough to see if those results can be maintained.

Don't get me wrong, the project is phenomenal and I am glad that someone took the risk and expense to launch such an ambitious platform but I am reserving all judgement till full sign up and true figures come in.

Posted info about it. We can discuss here.

https://carlosthomas.net/blog/2023/0...nk-in-jamaica/

Just don't wanna do it twice. But so far - testing isn't bad.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Double posting to show some actual results. So here we go.

Direct tests from the satellite to the SL router shows fluctuating speeds - averages around 300Mbps down and 20Mbps up. Bursts on the upload go up to around 30Mbps.

Residential gets 20Mbps up and business gets 40Mbps up.

300Mbps seems to be the peak - but real world testing shows very good results.

Gaming is fine with persons regardless of where they are. Ping is stable. Average download time for 100MB file is around 11 seconds through the browser. Using things that max your bandwidth like IDM gives up to 31MB/s download - which is around 240/250Mbps.

Almost all testing is done from a TP-Link Deco mesh system. So far - no issues - even with all the rain and cloud cover.

Testing elsewhere that there's no LAN adapter, going from the wireless to a NEXXT router that's WiFi-4 (the SL uses WiFi-5) it's slow...but the person using it had only DSL before so it's still a major speed boost. Performance is great overall.

No major complaints so far. Two things...firstly - most of the units you get seem to be refurbished and may have some "residue" on them. One unit I set up had a very long hair in the dish. At least two units looked...used. The dish wasn't cleaned properly and was more brown than white. Next is that the units aren't always reset. You may get a reset one with a network called STARLINK - but other times you'll get them with a network called STINKY. Apparently this is normal.

Want to test the roaming feature. Want to verify/review the payment and service terms. Those aside - units work great!

Last edited by khat17; May 25, 2023 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    No major complaints so far. Two things...firstly - most of the units you get seem to be refurbished and may have some "residue" on them. One unit I set up had a very long hair in the dish. At least two units looked...used. The dish wasn't cleaned properly and was more brown than white. Next is that the units aren't always reset. You may get a reset one with a network called STARLINK - but other times you'll get them with a network called STINKY. Apparently this is normal.
    Something is to be said about Starlink's quality control.

At the end of the day, I guess it's function over form, and the unit seems to come through with the former. But for the money being paid, I thought they would be more attentive to details, or at least provide a discount for using refurbished hardware. Actually, I'm glad for refurbished as it helps to reduce e-waste, but you can't be selling stuff full price with other people's dirt on it.

Whoever assigned a "STINKY" SSID were probably trying to be a little passive-aggressive with their complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    Something is to be said about Starlink's quality control.

At the end of the day, I guess it's function over form, and the unit seems to come through with the former. But for the money being paid, I thought they would be more attentive to details, or at least provide a discount for using refurbished hardware. Actually, I'm glad for refurbished as it helps to reduce e-waste, but you can't be selling stuff full price with other people's dirt on it.

Whoever assigned a "STINKY" SSID were probably trying to be a little passive-aggressive with their complaints.
    It actually seems to be a thing with the devices when they're reset to be reused. May just be trolling - but it's still interesting.

As for the money being paid - bear in mind that the USA selling prices are higher than what we pay out here. So the cost is already reduced. And that cost includes shipping, customs and the first month of usage.