Thread: Got a call from a strange local number -- Phishing?????

Default Got a call from a strange local number -- Phishing?????

I got a call in the middle of the night from a strange number. I have received them from foreign numbers before but never a local number. Thankfully, I didn't answer the call.

The number was 1-876-007-2354. I didn't think we had any numbers that started with a 00, Does anyone know what it might be?

Sending a spoof CID use to be relatively simple, havent done one in years, but I know call centers do it all the time. Sadly, unlike you, when i have the time i would answer these calling knowing there purpose (SCAM / Telemarketing calls) and mess with the person on the other end, (especially love when its from Microsoft - "telling me i have a issue with my computer")
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Sending a spoof CID use to be relatively simple, havent done one in years, but I know call centers do it all the time. Sadly, unlike you, when i have the time i would answer these calling knowing there purpose (SCAM / Telemarketing calls) and mess with the person on the other end, (especially love when its from Microsoft - "telling me i have a issue with my computer")
    Had to help a client with this once. The perps got on the machine and deleted their stuff then asked for money. I managed to recovery most of the important things - but it was a pain as I had to do it remotely. Client was overseas.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".