Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digicel and flow Bankrupt by 2025

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    I am done nothing u say makes sense I can go on a boat and cut the cable myself... 12000 satellites again 12000, unlike our local companies competition would not allow any argument u put forward.

They are more like the dish for direct tv they are small because the satellites are so low for example a gps satellite is 20,200 km above earth but your phone can still ping it

The other piece of equipment will be no more bigger than a cable modem

You CAN NOT BLOCK IT a global network is just that global, worst we so close to the USA block it and what Florida, Haiti, and all the people in international waters dont get service LOL. DIRECT tv still work in Jamaica because they could not stop the signal. And this network has thousands more satellites than direct tv and dish
    China will make hardware to block this so the ISPs can buy them. The Elon and Amazon will have no choice but to respect the spectrum of the countries they operate in and apply for spectrum like everyone else.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Call me an Anti-Elonite but I fail to see how this technology will provide greater speed and capacity than what ViaSat offers (and plans to offer) in the abovementioned timeline. Also, Terrestrial networks also have, by then, vastly outstripped their LEO counterparts in raw throughput & capacity. It will take sheer luck for an LEO ISP to outcompete future-proofed terrestrial networks that carry data, voice & video on BOTH mobile & fixed broadband.
    Me expect a better comment from you lol You know well more than anybody else that technology is always changing and evolving.. You know we can wake up tomorrow and the man them roll out some new tech that will make the internet as we know it today obsolete

When it come on to these things basically nothing is unthinkable
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I am done nothing u say makes sense I can go on a boat and cut the cable myself... 12000 satellites again 12000, unlike our local companies competition would not allow any argument u put forward.

They are more like the dish for direct tv they are small because the satellites are so low for example a gps satellite is 20,200 km above earth but your phone can still ping it

The other piece of equipment will be no more bigger than a cable modem

You CAN NOT BLOCK IT a global network is just that global, worst we so close to the USA block it and what Florida, Haiti, and all the people in international waters don't get service LOL. DIRECT tv still works in Jamaica because they could not stop the signal. And this network has thousands of more satellites than direct tv and dish
    Not my fault you don't understand that geopolitics affects many things on planet earth!
    Have you ever wondered why Canada has some of the most expensive broadband and mobile data? Did you know that Canada protects their local providers from competition dispite the fact that Toronto the most populated city in Canada is just a few hours drive from the US border?
    Have you ever lived in Switzerland and wondered why the hell is meat and dairy products so expensive? They protect their local markets for meat and dairy imports. You can find many examples around the world. This is no different.

Governments can easily block the importation on hardware to access LEO internet and outlaw their use or slap massive tariffs on them.
    Do you also think that accessing the internet on LEO satellites cannot tell where on the face of the planet that signal is coming from? They don't need to turn off the satellite over a specific area they can be compelled by government to block any signal coming from a specific area or surface of the planet. It's like putting an IP block rule into a router.

Regarding reliability! The US military is skeptical about the reliability of Starlink in case of an attack. A few well-placed missiles can wipe out the entire constellation. In one go https://spacenews.com/armys-evaluati...vulnerability/

Let me see you get in a boat an do a coordinated attack on subsea cables https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Edit added a link to a discussion on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co..._restrictions/

https://medium.com/@khaledmokhtar_40...n-1dcb3ae37630
    Last edited by leoandru; Aug 4, 2020 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Regarding reliability! The US military is skeptical about the reliability of Starlink in case of an attack. A few well-placed missiles can wipe out the entire constellation. In one go https://spacenews.com/armys-evaluati...vulnerability/

Let me see you get in a boat an do a coordinated attack on subsea cables https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Edit added a link to a discussion on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co..._restrictions/

https://medium.com/@khaledmokhtar_40...n-1dcb3ae37630
    While not unheard of which do you think will happen first cutting a cable or trying to shoot down 10000 satellites the system is operational over 80% of the us with 450 satellites they have to shoot down alot

The fact the same network I am using is being used by the biggest war machine in the world gives me more confidence with the reliability and up time only proves how good they think its going to be.

Those cables get cut all the time by boat anchors I have never heard a next country attack a next country satellites. And if the countries with that capability start doing that internet is the last thing we need to be worried about.
    Last edited by VRTECJA; Aug 4, 2020 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Not my fault you don't understand that geopolitics affects many things on planet earth!
    Have you ever wondered why Canada has some of the most expensive broadband and mobile data? Did you know that Canada protects their local providers from competition dispite the fact that Toronto the most populated city in Canada is just a few hours drive from the US border?
    Have you ever lived in Switzerland and wondered why the hell is meat and dairy products so expensive? They protect their local markets for meat and dairy imports. You can find many examples around the world. This is no different.

Governments can easily block the importation on hardware to access LEO internet and outlaw their use or slap massive tariffs on them.
    Do you also think that accessing the internet on LEO satellites cannot tell where on the face of the planet that signal is coming from? They don't need to turn off the satellite over a specific area they can be compelled by government to block any signal coming from a specific area or surface of the planet. It's like putting an IP block rule into a router.
    Not saying they cant try to regulate it but they will fail show me a country that can stop a satellite phone from working in its borders. And u gone a Canada the title say digicel and flow. You honestly think Jamaica have any talk. We cant even stop guns that killing people, block internet access LOL what planet u from.

And for the rules on equipment they will not and I repeat they will not comply with any government to regulate their equipment, u know how much more money they will make having unregulated equipment, how much people that live under dictatorship would love to have this. those countries have millions of people, millions of customers. when they tell Jamaica no what is Jamaica going to do nothing because we have 0 talk.
    Last edited by VRTECJA; Aug 4, 2020 at 09:26 PM.

Yes, private companies breaking sovereign laws. That will go over well.
    Anyways lets come back to this in 5 years and update this thread. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I can already hear an excuse that they didn't price their internet correctly.

I stand by the statement that it will be stupid on a monumental level for countries to allow their already established local telecoms network to be destroyed that earn them billions in license fees, employee thousands of people, and generate billions in taxes so their citizens can funnel foreign currency into to the pockets of the world's wealthiest men and be left to their whims once they destroy competition. I gave examples of countries protecting their local industry in other circumstances, hence why I pointed out Canada protecting their local companies from US-based companies. Jamaica will do the same if it comes to it.

Personally I don't even see it coming to that, I see Flow updating their network to the lastest DOCSIS standards, and using FTTH where necessary, we will be fine. I don't know about Digicel they are already bankrupted so maybe they will sell to another provider before 2025! So they won't count

A handful of people smuggling in the receives won't put a dent in telco revenues but legal importation is almost guaranteed to be blocked unless they pay the same taxes as local telcos. A large chunk of government revenues comes from telco taxes, you really think they'll just give that up along with all control over the country's connection to the internet....that's quite naive
    "Fortune Favors the Bold" -Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    A handful of people smuggling in the receives won't put a dent in telco revenues but legal importation is almost guaranteed to be blocked unless they pay the same taxes as local telcos. A large chunk of government revenues comes from telco taxes, you really think they'll just give that up along with all control over the country's connection to the internet....that's quite naive
    True but I believe pricing and maybe one natural disaster will change that, if Jamaica ever get a major hurricane I can see 2 months without home internet. The fact that its "weather proof" make it a dam good option, if let's say you can get a 1 gig line for $50 I can see 3 to 4 homes sharing this.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

True but I believe pricing and maybe one natural disaster will change that, if Jamaica ever get a major hurricane I can see 2 months without home internet. The fact that its "weather proof" make it a dam good option, if let's say you can get a 1 gig line for $50 I can see 3 to 4 homes sharing this.
    Share what now? With all the pr0n/movies/work that can be done on it? And if it's unmetered/unlimited then....no. I greedy like that.

Still. With faster uploads - and more stable uploads - online backup to cold storage would be lovely. No need to leave on the systems for days on end....It's like things got reversed from using the peanut phone to download - to using DSL to upload. They could do better - Digicel is giving better - but people in every parish can't wait for them to reach.

I'm seeing a lot of small companies pop up that seem to be piggy-backing off some fiber connections. We'll see what the offer and how it goes.
    Last edited by khat17; Aug 6, 2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".