Thread: How I Flipped A Domain Name From $7.49 to $799 in 32 days

Default How I Flipped A Domain Name From $7.49 to $799 in 32 days

Registering The Domain Name
    During the recent trend in #WFH (Working From Home) caused by the covid-19 pandemic, I took some time to think about how flipping domain names would be affected by the pandemic. I began researching possible domain name solutions that would be valuable to end users in this time. A lot of executives at large companies and other businesses might not be so focused on long term investments. Many persons will focus on short term solutions and adjusting to a “new norm”.

Maybe hand registering suitable domain names and flipping them at prices below $1000 would be a good strategy. So I thought I would give it a try. This unprecedented time is a time for hand registrations rather than higher priced acquisitions. There are trends that will emerge out of this period that only hand registered generic domains will capture.

So I started researching “remote work” in Google and stumbled onto a remote work conference that was planned for April 2020 but had to move online due to travel restrictions. Since the domain name RemoteWorkConference.com was available, I registered it at the domain registrar Epik.com for $7.49. I then listed the name in the Epik Marketplace, Sedo Marketplace and Afternic Marketplace.

OutBound – Flipping Domain Names
    After registering the domain name, I reached out to about four (4) organizations that host annual remote work conferences across the world. I engaged with three of the companies via the chat box on their website. One organization, facebook – workplaces, totally ignored me, and the other two had a decent chat with me. For the fourth, I sent a message through the contact form on the website of the company. Here’s how it went:

Company #2

So I followed up about twice with Company #2 without getting a solid answer that they would acquire this.

So none of the companies actually said they would buy the name. Now the name has been sold for $799 via buy-it-now at the Sedo marketplace. So I am not certain if any of these companies snagged it or another random person. The important point for me is that it sold and I am grateful for that.

Out-bounding has been the most challenging thing I have ever done in this business. I will regard this as my first outbound sale although I am not sure any of the persons I reached out to actually bought it. I learnt my out-bounding strategy via DomainGraduate.com. Sending emails to companies is ideal but it hasn’t worked out so well for me. The best results for me has been in the chats with either the owners of the companies or the agents.

Conclusion – Flipping Domain Names
    I know a lot of domain investors, including myself at times have discriminated against hand registrations and their inherent value. For me, now is the time to hand register. This is the time to capture emerging trends with generic domain name investments. Please drop a comment below if you have any questions on the sale or ask me how you can do this.
    Engineer by Profession
    Wordpress Site Designer
    No Code Maker

You're lucky they were receptive to your offer. Or maybe they were just being polite. If I got an offer from you like that, I would have totally ignored you, knowing full well, you targeted us or our interests, registered a domain name for a few dollars, only to sell it to us for 100's or 1000's of dollars.

I would have instantly find an alternative domain name for our company needs, saving hundreds of dollars from buying it from you.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Default Very Good Point!

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    You're lucky they were receptive to your offer. Or maybe they were just being polite. If I got an offer from you like that, I would have totally ignored you, knowing full well, you targeted us or our interests, registered a domain name for a few dollars, only to sell it to us for 100's or 1000's of dollars.

I would have instantly find an alternative domain name for our company needs, saving hundreds of dollars from buying it from you.

That is indeed a very good point.

For the record, I eventually found out that those companies didn't purchase it from me and they did in fact ignore me. The point is, it became valuable to somebody else.

That long tail name of key terms sold to somebody absolutely different. That means it was worth something to them. Sure they would have known that it was just registered but they still paid for it. You can see that it forwards to a whole new project. "Remote Work Conference" is a very generic term and doesn't speak to one company's particular interest. It will become applicable next year when many remote work companies host large conferences. If I held onto it longer I could have sold for thousands.
    Last edited by campbellsinvestment; May 23, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
    Engineer by Profession
    Wordpress Site Designer
    No Code Maker