Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coping with threats from Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Bredda at this point in time take ALL information about Covid-19 with a grain of salt...

This thing is pretty much still in its early stages and there is just not enough solid information about it as yet where you can truly believe one thing vs another.

There are sicknesses and viruses that have been around for years that still have many unanswered questions... obviously there will be some information about Covid-19 that is straight up non sense, but at the same time many of the things you research and believe to be true may not be. What we are seeing now is allot of assumptions and speculations.
    I agree that we should be careful with the info. But as an example, the link at the top of the post has nothing about the surfaces in it. Yet it was circulating on social media where people saying it stays airborne for 8 hours and a lot of other nonsense. There's no link I've seen to substantiate that, and the one they send with the text has nothing to do with that info. People just don't read is what...
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post

What I find gross and amusing at the same time is the number of persons that are now washing their hands. I've never gone into a food establishment and eaten without first washing my hands. Unless I'm using a fork exclusively or chopsticks maybe.....But I went into MegaMart the other day and had to join a line to get my hands washed. So the question is - what on Earth were these people doing before the advisories to wash their hands?
    This is why I have always been weary of shaking hands. Point blank - some people are just straight-up nasty and I have seen people try to justify not washing their hands. I legit see people leaving the bathroom after taking crap and not even look twice at the sink. So something like this brings to light the poor hygiene of a lot of people.

It's ironic when I go to the supermarket, I see the shelves cleared of all toilet paper, hand sanitizers, disinfecting wipes etc, but the soap shelves are untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    It's ironic when I go to the supermarket, I see the shelves cleared of all toilet paper, hand sanitizers, disinfecting wipes etc, but the soap shelves are untouched.
    Sad but True observation
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Yes - but you can't find any of the antibacterial soaps though....
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Yes - but you can't find any of the antibacterial soaps though....
    Fortunately, you don't need antibacterial soaps. A good hand washing with normal soap is just as effective (if not more).

Antibacterial soaps tend to make people not put the effort into washing their hands properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...soap-and-water.

https://www.unitypoint.org/blankchil...b-4df322b04380

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/publ...ata-stats.html

We stopped buying antibacterial soaps ~10 years ago for a number of reasons:

1. The potential side effects of the chemicals in them (example - laboratory studies have raised the possibility that triclosan (found in many antibacterial soaps, contributes to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics).
    2. No proof of there effectiveness over regular soap.
    3. Stuff I learned from my Bio/Chem classes.
    4. Cost - antibacterial soap can cost as much as 2x the cost of regular soap.

Unless you have someone who is immune-compromised, you'll do fine without it.

Note if you use bar soap (antibacterial or not), rinse it off after each use.

Yeah soap will work with viruses well enough as it works by breaking the down their cell structure. I am not sure how much more complex the external cell structure of bacteria are but the soaps for bacteria may be different than bacteria.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Yeah soap will work with viruses well enough as it works by breaking the down their cell structure. I am not sure how much more complex the external cell structure of bacteria are but the soaps for bacteria may be different than bacteria.
    Maybe that's why there's specific anti-bacterial soap.

Question though - does a disinfectant that kills 99.9% of bacteria also kill viruses?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Maybe that's why there's specific anti-bacterial soap.

Question though - does a disinfectant that kills 99.9% of bacteria also kill viruses?
    I should think so but disinfectants are usually harsher than soaps hence not used on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I should think so but disinfectants are usually harsher than soaps hence not used on skin.
    Correct. Sorry I changed tracks on you, I wasn't asking in reference to hand cleaning use but surface disinfecting.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Correct. Sorry I changed tracks on you, I wasn't asking in reference to hand cleaning use but surface disinfecting.
    Np. I thought the answer to your question with regards to COVID-19 would be simple but apparently it isn't. Posting a link HERE to a CNN article.