Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Coping with threats from Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I would not rule out the 5g theorists just like smoking and IOT are all rosey until everybody gets cornered. It has been shown that the things you like are the most likely to kill you. Looking at tiny bright screens makes you near sighted and eventually blind but no one really talks about that stuff because it goes against the economy. Now everyone is washing their hands in a collective attack on an invisible enemy which is destined to infect everyone on the planet except for the most remote people who will eventually get it when we go there to install their internet.
    Last edited by owen; Apr 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM.

With what has been said - a few pennies to throw in.

Conspiracy theories like most other things - can have some amount of truth to them mixed in. I made reference in a WhatsApp group to games and movies. This was in response to people posting a plethora of conspiracy things.

Command and Conquer has the mirage tank. Something which is real. Whichever came first, one was inspired by the other. Back To The Future had hoverboards and how companies are doing their best to make them. Star Trek gave lots of insight into tech we'd like to see - and we're seeing a lot of it developed now. Some even better than originally designed in the shows/cartoons/anime/games.

Technology is driven by imagination. When we stop dreaming we stop creating.

As for the ISPs here. I had to upload 18.2GB of data for a friend. This data was placed on a VPS overseas to make it easier for him to access. Took me almost 2 weeks to do the upload. I then decided to place said files in my more permanent cloud storage for safekeeping. Took less than a day to be done. I don't think it took 6 hours actually. The point is it took a better connection less than 1 day to do what took me almost 2 weeks. If we had proper internet here then lots of things would be easier and the user experience would be better. Persons locally that stream and game online would have MUCH better competition. From a gamer perspective, I remember when I was hardcore into it and killing people with much lower ping. There's two sides to that. A better connection smooths things out - if you are a good player and a laggy player is there, things can go in either direction. Usually it's in the favor of the higher ping player, but on the flip side (in an FPS for example) you can shoot someone and on your side you see blood splatter and whatnot - but the other player takes no damage whatsoever. Even with the struggles I was the #5 Jamaican in Counter-Strike: Source overall online for some time. We could actually participate in E-Sports versus just watching. We have the talent here, but the available ISPs make it hard.

If @brandysull comes in we could get more details on the available technologies and what they are actually capable of, but we already know the MO for the companies. Give a little trickle of what it can be - charge premium. What we pay for the basic package at ISPs in Jamaica is less than what others pay overseas, however the cost of our middle packages are higher than what's charged overseas and we're not getting it. One person I spoke with had a 500Mb connection with either 100Mb/200Mb upload and was paying USD$70. That's about our middle packages here - and we not getting anywhere NEAR that.

Anyways. Enough rambling. Eventually I'd like to see some advancements instead of the repeated holding back that we're accustomed to. Now when they finally free things up a bit everyone going rejoice. It's a psychological game.

As for the current garbage with COVID-19. There go my beach plans...
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    ...Conspiracy theories like most other things - can have some amount of truth to them mixed in...
    As they say ... "if it nuh go suh, it near go suh"
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    With what has been said - a few pennies to throw in.

...the available technologies and what they are actually capable of, but we already know the MO for the companies. Give a little trickle of what it can be - charge premium. What we pay for the basic package at ISPs in Jamaica is less than what others pay overseas, however the cost of our middle packages are higher than what's charged overseas and we're not getting it. One person I spoke with had a 500Mb connection with either 100Mb/200Mb upload and was paying USD$70. That's about our middle packages here - and we not getting anywhere NEAR that.

Anyways. Enough rambling. Eventually I'd like to see some advancements instead of the repeated holding back that we're accustomed to. Now when they finally free things up a bit everyone going rejoice. It's a psychological game.

As for the current garbage with COVID-19. There go my beach plans...
    To be frank, with DOCSIS 3.0, VDSL & FTTH, most Jamaicans should be able to enjoy a minimum of 25 Mbit/s download, to boot. The problem is (and has always been) on the upload. Currently, FLOW, on their HFC network, uses 24 downstream channels (most subscribers can only see 16 or 8; 24 is available to those who have the TG2492LG-FLO/"White" Modem) and FOUR on the uplink of the possible 8 on their best CPEs. Customers in T&T, Panama & Puerto Rico (who all use the same modem) go up to 600 Mbit/s (and even 1 Gbit/s in the case of Panama) and up to 30+ Mbps on the upload. Jamaica lags in the region as it relates to speed and frankly, it eludes me. When you compare broadband prices in Jamaica to the DR or Puerto Rico, we obviously pay more per megabit. Altice, in the Dr, charges (after taxes) less than almost 2000 JMD (for Triple Play 200 Mbit/s Fibre broadband) for what we pay for the entry-level package FLOW has on offer. Compare this to Digicel, their comparable plan bring 5x the upload speed BUT would cost up to 2.6x more.

The issue may be our provider's unwillingness to match our price expectations with service quality & product offering. COVID-19 is just what they needed to get them moving!

They say the only way to get rich people attention is to dip into their pockets. Know what would be the best money-pull? Community computer networks. When they see that citizens are able to erect their own networks, it will be the 90s all over again. ISP will scamper to not have people woke. Think they would like it revealed how little they are needed? The only thing they are needed for is overseas connections.

I vaguely recall an iPhone release being delayed because the majority of the world still had no IPv6 access. Community organized networks would manage that and more. They are resilient, cheap, versatile, scalable. It all comes down to the neighbours. If malevolence (bad-mind) sabotages things then it will just hasten the hell that is coming. Think 5G is simple to deploy? Consider power; placement; increase in bills; property devaluation, rural will be left [out | for last] as usual.

Examples

https://www.nycmesh.net/blog/how/
    https://libremesh.org/about.html
    https://gizmodo.com/cubas-illegal-un...ing-1681797114

I am attempting this in 2 areas. Still in research phase. One for business, other for fu*. Will take years, but if Flow nor Digicel pays attention during all that time, it will be worth it. Meanwhile, Flow will probably be collecting a sizeable sum of say $6500 monthly -- that is how expensive rural 2MB/s is.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    They say the only way to get rich people attention is to dip into their pockets. Know what would be the best money-pull? Community computer networks. When they see that citizens are able to erect their own networks, it will be the 90s all over again. ISP will scamper to not have people woke. Think they would like it revealed how little they are needed? The only thing they are needed for is overseas connections.

I vaguely recall an iPhone release being delayed because the majority of the world still had no IPv6 access. Community organized networks would manage that and more. They are resilient, cheap, versatile, scalable. It all comes down to the neighbours. If malevolence (bad-mind) sabotages things then it will just hasten the hell that is coming. Think 5G is simple to deploy? Consider power; placement; increase in bills; property devaluation, rural will be left [out | for last] as usual.

Examples

https://www.nycmesh.net/blog/how/
    https://libremesh.org/about.html
    https://gizmodo.com/cubas-illegal-un...ing-1681797114

I am attempting this in 2 areas. Still in research phase. One for business, other for fu*. Will take years, but if Flow nor Digicel pays attention during all that time, it will be worth it. Meanwhile, Flow will probably be collecting a sizeable sum of say $6500 monthly -- that is how expensive rural 2MB/s is.
    Some businesses are trying to do this now. The use of third party providers to supply the equipment - so there's no overhead with updating or replacements - is done with companies such as Island Networks. Smaller companies with multiple branches are also trying to centralize their things. Back in the day we had to do what we could to make things work - especially on the gaming end.

I actually ran the first LAN on NCU dorms many years ago. While it didn't have very good structure - some cables were in the halls and some through windows - we did have a centralized server with messaging system and all that. Problem? Even in a small setting like that you had people go cannibalize the server. I had then changed the messaging and hosting of games to one of the rooms to give some responsibility - but the centralized room that the equipment was in wasn't safe. A community network would require setup with persons interested in file sharing and access - or gaming. And as stupi....unaware as people are with their networks (such as having DHCP solely handled by their ISP modem or leaving their wireless printer open), they still rather have a certain level of control. Even if it's just in their minds.

The thing now is VPN for persons that want to get gaming or other things done. Hamachi was the thing. Evolve was another. But - I get what you're saying. You have to roll it out enough to make a dent in their pockets before their hands can be moved however.

As @brandysull said - maybe COVID-19 was the thing needed to push some of their things forward. We can wait and see.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".