Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox's new Picture in Picture mode

Thumbs up Firefox's new Picture in Picture mode

I can't believe I didn't notice this feature sooner, but I only just discovered it during the weekend and thought it was a new youtube feature till I saw Linus's gaming browser video.

This is super convenient especially if you use a single big monitor like me and want to watch (stream) a video while multitasking or even gaming!

You can even resize it, though it seems diagonal only but still you can make it really tiny and still have lots of screen real estate and it's always on top of your applications too.

What do you firefox users think about it so far?

Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

I've started watching youtube+vimeo pretty much exclusively on the tv because that stuff wastes CPU cycles and the related videos are trash.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I've started watching youtube+vimeo pretty much exclusively on the tv because that stuff wastes CPU cycles and the related videos are trash.
    Firefox uses 4 to 8% of my CPU usage with or without this mode active so not sure what you mean by wasted cycles. TV is dedicated to just watching and this mode allows you to watch a video and play games and surf the internet while always on top of all these programs so not sure what you getting at?
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

I mean its a cool feature but if I am already using near 95% of my CPU I am not going to be watching youtube in a side window even if its just 4%.
    mozilla; https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/01/ho...refox-desktop/
    Last edited by owen; Feb 9, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

I mean its a cool feature but if I am already using near 95% of my CPU I am not going to be watching youtube in a side window even if its just 4%.
    mozilla; https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/01/ho...refox-desktop/
    I'd suggest that if you're using anywhere near 95% of your CPU then you need more CPU
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'd suggest that if you're using anywhere near 95% of your CPU then you need more CPU
    Hahaha indeed, Chris.

Yes Pow, I've been using PiP since it came out. I usually spend a while watching youtube video's, and being able to surf other sites while watching the video has been a nice feature. No longer am I tied to just the 1 tab. Allows me to consume more at the same time.

I like it.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Hahaha indeed, Chris.

Yes Pow, I've been using PiP since it came out. I usually spend a while watching youtube video's, and being able to surf other sites while watching the video has been a nice feature. No longer am I tied to just the 1 tab. Allows me to consume more at the same time.

I like it.
    I used to just drag out the tab and open a side by side window and make the youtube window small or just listen the audio in the background while gaming, but thanks Mozilla now I can popout the video and continue with my life .

Upgrading my PC is not in the cards right now, I need a new highres pocket camera. Another thing I notice is that the youtube pop-out means you avoid seeing the google ad above the video on youtube. Google might try to block this feature.

Upgrading my PC is not in the cards right now, I need a new highres pocket camera. Another thing I notice is that the youtube pop-out means you avoid seeing the google ad above the video on youtube. Google might try to block this feature.
    At least youtube it if you don't want to try it yourself. Ads still show without adblock, just in convenient picture window.

I've tried it. It works like the youtube mini player except its a separate window and always on top of other windows. The other advantage of it is that you can make it super small. I have not tested it with playlists however.