Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Has Upgraded Internet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Yikes! Are you in the Kingston Metro Area? For clarity, I'm in an area surrounding Montego Bay; they did some headend upgrades in April (according to an email they sent). I am also <500m from a fibre node, with an amplifier just 5 houses down, in a sleepy neighborhood (with fibre overbuild from the looks of it). Most get cable from a regional player in Western Jamaica & internet from good old LIME ADSL (which goes up to 8 Mbit/s) despite "Flow" & FLOW being available here for well over a decade.

On the point of traffic shaping/QoS, other players like Comcast are surprisingly hands-off in that regard. FLOW's issue really seems to be a reluctance in overprovisioning for usage growth, which is why any period of usage uplift will hit the network hard. They cost cut A LOT and end up paying doubly for it in the end; cost to brand value, resolution and new solution buildout.

The network desperately needs some beefing up & traffic controls in those high density rollouts (like in the KMA).
    Khat is in Mandeville and has been having issues for some time. I suspect the plant in his section of Mandeville is bad plus under provisioned.
    Mobay was in bad need of an upgrade and was amplified due to Covid so I am Glad that they managed the upgrade in April.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Khat is in Mandeville and has been having issues for some time. I suspect the plant in his section of Mandeville is bad plus under provisioned.
    Mobay was in bad need of an upgrade and was amplified due to Covid so I am Glad that they managed the upgrade in April.
    https://share.pingplotter.com/bNZDqpDGUrY
    https://share.pingplotter.com/Rsrpu7ghWb8
    https://share.pingplotter.com/SBGCnooZY1F
    https://share.pingplotter.com/fTfqyZFFSdX

I've had speeds drop as low as 2.94Mb down and 4.27Mb up. And I can't hear anything about the upgrade from HFC to GPON regardless of which person I speak to. Customer service says talk to the store. The store says they are not rolling out GPON at this time. And technicians I know say it should be available in my area since other communities close by actually have it available. So....yeah.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quick Update: FLOW's launched 4 new bundles under the brand "DO IT"

I decided to take the plunge and move from the Flame bundle (60 Down/5 up) to the Do It More bundle, which tops out at 100 Mbit/s on the download & curious vacillations between 5 to 10 Mbit/s.

Here's are some screenshots.

Both tests happened on 802.11ac (Wave 1) devices. Peak speeds were observed hitting past 120+ Mbit/s. For the upload, I'm seeing peaks up to 35 Mbit/s; very heartening! Let's see what comes in the run down till Christmas!

For added clarity, I'm located within the boundaries of the city of Montego Bay.

So 100 down and 10 up. Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    So 100 down and 10 up. Not bad
    It looks to be that. They're still hard-throttling customers to 5 but 10 to 15 seems to be where they want to land next, on the higher packages at least. Now the Mercury I modem (white box) is beginning to flex its muscles!

I have been on the Blaze bundle for nearly a year now. I guess they renamed it to Do IT ALL? I test my speed now and again to check that I get what I'm paying for. Nothing has changed

Last edited by leoandru; Sep 5, 2020 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    I have been on the Blaze bundle for nearly a year now. I guess they renamed it to Do IT ALL? I test my speed now and again to check that I get what I'm paying for. Nothing has changed

https://i.imgur.com/2HYfdiC.png
    I'd say to stay tuned. Based on what I'm hearing, there's a lot of work happening to move above the 150 Mbit/s mark, as they move to full IPTV on their new TV Product (compliments of Liberty Latin America's new Arris set-top box). It just launched in Panama, which has speeds starting out at 150 Mbit/s up to 1 Gbit/s. Given that the Panamanian market & Jamaican market are equally weighted (from what I see), I see linearity coming soon in that regard.

That's one good thing which came out of COVID. The problem now - it still takes a number of days to upload 50GB. And that's little to nothing if you do video editing.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Did anyone listen to the swearing-in ceremony of the Prime Minister? Maybe I should start a new thread for this if I can find details anywhere.
    They claim they will build an all-island fiber network owned and managed by the government through which ISPs will deliver service. I'm always skeptical of anything government managed; however, if it's anything like this:

I'm all for it.

OK I added the video link to government speech. Maybe I didn't hear ~fiber~. But they did say broadband network
    https://youtu.be/eamLd7ShyCw?t=4186
    Last edited by leoandru; Sep 7, 2020 at 04:57 PM.