Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Has Upgraded Internet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    With unlimited voice calls to mobile and landline as well. Since nobody is using their bundled landline might as well give the calls away.
    It's not "Unlimited" - go to the website and check the fine print. I believe it's 1,000 minutes on-net and 500 minutes to Digicel.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    It's not "Unlimited" - go to the website and check the fine print. I believe it's 1,000 minutes on-net and 500 minutes to Digicel.
    Thanks for that, good to know. Those minutes should be more than enough for my average zero minutes a month I use

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    They know uploads not important to maybe 90% of their users..
    You maybe right, but its strange Digicel don't seem to think so.

I went out with some friends the other day and took lots of pics and decided to upload them to google drive so everyone has access to them. I had to plug my phone in and let it sit there for hours so the pics could upload, when i had Digi Play that would have been completed in minutes. Sometimes someone from work may ask me to upload a file that may be a couple hundred MB and it takes forever on flow, uploads should be at least 15mb minimum.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    You maybe right, but its strange Digicel don't seem to think so.
    It's important to persons that are how I was when I was younger. Semi-pro and pro gaming needs higher upload speeds. File sharing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    I went out with some friends the other day and took lots of pics and decided to upload them to google drive so everyone has access to them. I had to plug my phone in and let it sit there for hours so the pics could upload, when i had Digi Play that would have been completed in minutes. Sometimes someone from work may ask me to upload a file that may be a couple hundred MB and it takes forever on flow, uploads should be at least 15mb minimum.

Then there's this. It took me hours to upload a few GB (maybe 3GB) of a wedding for a friend. This was done to my cloud server. Someone else uploaded their copy to the same server - 15GB - and it took them less than 2 hours. I had to leave mine on overnight to ensure that everything would go. So yes. Higher upload please.
    Last edited by khat17; Dec 9, 2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

never took time to look at my essential package-= last speed test show about 28mbit, with this upgrade i'll prob get 35 i barely use 2/3rds of my speed at any given time, i'm really getting old lol
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Bwoy, me try watch some movie (CyberFlix) lastnight after 11 and nothing... Could not stream nothing over 1GB... I could easily stream anything before, all some big 40-80GB 4K streams without any issue...

Not sure if network not back 100% or maybe Flow did some Torrent streaming optimizations... but I'll monitor and see what's what...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Then there's this. It took me hours to upload a few GB (maybe 3GB) of a wedding for a friend. This was done to my cloud server. Someone else uploaded their copy to the same server - 15GB - and it took them less than 2 hours. I had to leave mine on overnight to ensure that everything would go. So yes. Higher upload please.
    Exactly. We have GOT to get past this notion that upload speeds are not as important. It isn't just for P2P anymore. Smartphones and cloud storage changed the game for home use. Regular people doing everyday things need more upstream bandwidth.

It is a somewhat financial/technical limitation why they cannot afford to offer anyone "large" upload speeds. If you check most cable providers all over the world you will find that the higher upload speeds tend to max out 25 Mbps. A lot of upgrades would be required to their equipment CPEs for customers and within the headend namely the CMTS. Cable modem standards are also not designed to be symmetrical so the download speeds greatly exceed the upload speeds.

Digicel's Home Entertainment service uses Fibre so there is no comparison, they are able to provide you with higher upload and download speeds because they literally have the capacity to do so and it doesn't cost them any extra to turn up services.

DOCSIS 3.1 will allow FLOW to provide greater uploads more efficiently so we can only hope those upgrades are a part of their plans.

Trinidad's operations have made such upgrades and yet they still max out at 25 Mbps for uploads.

https://discoverflow.co/trinidad/bro...roadband-plans

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    It is a somewhat financial/technical limitation why they cannot afford to offer anyone "large" upload speeds. If you check most cable providers all over the world you will find that the higher upload speeds tend to max out 25 Mbps. A lot of upgrades would be required to their equipment CPEs for customers and within the headend namely the CMTS. Cable modem standards are also not designed to be symmetrical so the download speeds greatly exceed the upload speeds.

Digicel's Home Entertainment service uses Fibre so there is no comparison, they are able to provide you with higher upload and download speeds because they literally have the capacity to do so and it doesn't cost them any extra to turn up services.

DOCSIS 3.1 will allow FLOW to provide greater uploads more efficiently so we can only hope those upgrades are a part of their plans.

Trinidad's operations have made such upgrades and yet they still max out at 25 Mbps for uploads.

https://discoverflow.co/trinidad/bro...roadband-plans
    I would actually push back on the part of CPEs needing upgrades to get up to 25 Mbps... their newer boxes are what FLOW Trinidad has rolled out to customers to enable the plans they have on offer now. I haven't an idea if any of their headends are DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in Jamaica but all CPEs would have to be upgraded to the TG3492LG (which I see has been authorised for use in Jamaica according to SMA records). It is the only Liberty brand modem capable of D3.1.

As for the speeds they offer now... they're paltry. Seriously paltry. Your top-end is at 150 Mbps?? In 2020??? It's a crying shame... their newer modems can do up to 1000 Mbit/s! This is a crime!