Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Has Upgraded Internet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    OK I added the video link to government speech. Maybe I didn't hear ~fiber~. But they did say broadband network
    https://youtu.be/eamLd7ShyCw?t=4186
    Thanks for that. More than likely this network will be an on island network ring which is something I always thought that Government should do. I already know that The Government has built out fiber for some projects.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I would have to see this for myself. If the ISPs themselves can barely build out fibre all island only FLOW comes the closest and that took decades. This Gov project going to take multiple administrations and failures especially if they plan to build and then have the ISPs use it.

Sorry won't hold by breath, especially because back in the day we were told there would be a all island broadband network for schools and you can clearly see that with COVID, it is not yet in place.

I wonder how that Universal Service Fund is going...

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I would have to see this for myself. If the ISPs themselves can barely build out fibre all island only FLOW comes the closest and that took decades. This Gov project going to take multiple administrations and failures especially if they plan to build and then have the ISPs use it.

Sorry won't hold by breath, especially because back in the day we were told there would be a all island broadband network for schools and you can clearly see that with COVID, it is not yet in place.

Yea I'm very skeptical as well of any government-run project. Flow is a for-profit company tho, they only go where there are potential customers for return on the investment to a fiber build-out. They took about 3 years to build out to all the urban (or denser) areas in Jamaica. Personally I would want to see plans on paper and timelines before I even consider this to be a thing. But this very thing is being done in other countries as they are starting to treat the internet as a utility; not a service.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post

Agreed. Best example is the NBN (NBNCo) in Australia which uses an amalgam of different technologies like VDSL2, HFC, G.Fast, Fibre to the Home, Satellite & Fixed Wireless Broadband. Service providers provide service over top the network though purchasing capacity through NBNCo (which also involves a need for surplus capacity for peak periods). I do see current & future indigenous (and foreign) telcos seeing this as an attractive investment. It will undoubtedly become the linchpin of our recovery & growth.

Update on the new TV product rolling out across Liberty Latin America's larger markets.

TotalTV is replacing the Colombus Hybrid IPTV AVS product in Panama, which happens to be the exact same one we use here.

Using the TiVO Experience 4 Platform, the new box offers a number of features including Voice Search via Remote (likely powered by Google, since they're using an Android fork).

Additionally, thanks to the power of their Connect Box (TG2492LG), they are now untethering their TV product from Coax, now going wireless (the set-top box uses 802.11ac 4x4 MIMO).

The successor to the TG2492 (the TG3492) will harness the power of 4x4 MIMO more readily than our current boxes do. FCC filings from 2018 confirm Liberty Latin America's intent to launch their DOCSIS 3.1 box in Panama & Jamaica.

Panama label (indicated by the -MAS distinction, indicative of +Movil)

Jamaica + wider CWC markets label (indicated by the -FLO distinction, indicative of LLA's FLOW markets of which Jamaica is their largest)

The product allows for personalized TV recommendations, following with Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, HBO & FOX integration into the box.

They still offer the usual bells & whistles, like ReplayTV, CatchUpTV & VOD, by the way.

Excited to see these changes come to our shores soon!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Sep 10, 2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Update on the new TV product rolling out across Liberty Latin America's larger markets.

...clipped for brevity...
    How Confident are you that this new product will eventually reach Jamaica?. Plus what are your thoughts on the Government's intent to build a National broadband Network?. Do you think the Network will be full FTTH or a mix of current Technology standards?. I personally hope it's full FTTH, expensive in the roll out phase yes, but long term No.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Sep 13, 2020 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Shortened quote

I checked the T&C recently. It suggests that there may be upload speed upgrades soon, as it shows up to 100Mpbs. We may see things in Q1 next year. I've heard that testing is being done in Kingston already. Let's see. Might actually be able to play things online with friends and have less lag now.

No idea why my attempt to edit my post resulted in a delete from the mobile view....

Anyways.

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/do-i...and-conditions

T&C hints at upgrades in future - heard it's being tested in Kingston (naturally) and may be rolling out by Q1/Q2 next year.

"upload speeds ranging from up to 5 Mbps to up to 100 Mbps which may be applicable according to the availability in your location."

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    No idea why my attempt to edit my post resulted in a delete from the mobile view....
    Not sure either ... could be "user error"? Anyways, I've undeleted it.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

KMT Flow called me saying I am loyal customer cause I wid them from 128 mb days and offer to upgrade my flame package to whichever one give mi from 60 - 100 Mbps and some lifetime channel and more free land line minutes for the low low price of just $500 more on my bill .

So I told em NOPE, I'm good with what I have cause when I had the 2 Mbps connection I was getting 70+ ping on League of Legends server when they made the move closer to us and with this 60 Mbps connection I am still getting the same ping. I am not lagging when streaming on youtube 1080p which is what I view most of my videos that support it in and I don't lag anymore with other people doing their whatsapp and streaming that used to inconvenience me a lot so why pay extra for what I don't need? They need to focus on reducing my ping more and give me a reason for that upg
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow