Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Has Upgraded Internet Speeds

My 75Mbps fire bundle was increased to 100Mbps months ago..

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    My 75Mbps fire bundle was increased to 100Mbps months ago..
    Correction, I should be on the Flame package, something seem to be odd here.

With the launch of residential GPON the HFC speeds will be upgraded to 10Mbps upstream. Download speeds will remain the same (for now). My source was based on talks with FLOW customer care today.

Considering that the HFC we have can support up to 50Mbps - giving everyone an upgrade to 10Mbps should not be putting any strain on their network.

Personally - I will be going in and requesting a conversion from HFC to GPON. A friend with it showed some results which were....poor to say the least. But I'm hoping that the fiber network will stay up if the HFC goes down - and hopefully will stay up during power outages...
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    With the launch of residential GPON the HFC speeds will be upgraded to 10Mbps upstream. Download speeds will remain the same (for now). My source was based on talks with FLOW customer care today.

Considering that the HFC we have can support up to 50Mbps - giving everyone an upgrade to 10Mbps should not be putting any strain on their network.

Personally - I will be going in and requesting a conversion from HFC to GPON. A friend with it showed some results which were....poor to say the least. But I'm hoping that the fiber network will stay up if the HFC goes down - and hopefully will stay up during power outages...

They "launched" residential fibre recently? I should perhaps ask them if they plan to go deeper with (Node +0) in HFC areas or perhaps they have fibre overbuild. Do you care to say how long you've had HFC in your area or how you happened to hear of their new residential fibre offering?

An upstream of 10 Mbit/s would be great but, given that their TG2492 modems support 8 upstream channels & 24 downstream channels, maximum theoretical speeds can go up to 1029 Mbit/s download & 245.76 Mbit/s upload. FLOW used 4 upstream channels, last I checked, so we're looking at about 122 Mbit/s upload speed, per subscriber. They should offer 10 Mbit/s at the minimum.

I'd love for the download speeds to have a boost, they're undoubtedly using 24 to 32 downstream channels, each channel of which is able to push 42.88 Mbit/s. We're not even close to exhausting the capability of DOCSIS 3.0, let alone DOCSIS 3.1. COVID has got them to now action on TRULY opening the pipes to faster internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    They "launched" residential fibre recently? I should perhaps ask them if they plan to go deeper with (Node +0) in HFC areas or perhaps they have fibre overbuild. Do you care to say how long you've had HFC in your area or how you happened to hear of their new residential fibre offering?

An upstream of 10 Mbit/s would be great but, given that their TG2492 modems support 8 upstream channels & 24 downstream channels, maximum theoretical speeds can go up to 1029 Mbit/s download & 245.76 Mbit/s upload. FLOW used 4 upstream channels, last I checked, so we're looking at about 122 Mbit/s upload speed, per subscriber. They should offer 10 Mbit/s at the minimum.

I'd love for the download speeds to have a boost, they're undoubtedly using 24 to 32 downstream channels, each channel of which is able to push 42.88 Mbit/s. We're not even close to exhausting the capability of DOCSIS 3.0, let alone DOCSIS 3.1. COVID has got them to now action on TRULY opening the pipes to faster internet.
    They should have tonnes of average spare capacity when COVID ends as they are doing upgrades. I know they are building out their Fiber to the home service using GPON but I have not heard from anyone who has experience with it so I guess they have not made a huge PR push with it. I hope the use it to replace areas where HFC gives problems like Mandeville.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    They should have tonnes of average spare capacity when COVID ends as they are doing upgrades. I know they are building out their Fiber to the home service using GPON but I have not heard from anyone who has experience with it so I guess they have not made a huge PR push with it. I hope the use it to replace areas where HFC gives problems like Mandeville.
    It works great from what i heard,low ping even when the connection is at max.
    It available near mandeville but not in the town yet..
    they are going to place where they steal there copper phone lines and other area where they didn't have any cable yet.

ok Good to know. They should just aim to replace copper networks, esp communities or areas far away from the Hub.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

So - someone has wrong information. Who? Not sure.

FLOW CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    HFC customers can upgrade to GPON. Unfortunately we can't do that over the phone - check in the store.

FLOW STORE
    GPON is only available in remote areas where there is no HFC. Customers with HFC will not be able to upgrade to GPON.

So I'm waiting on customer service to get to a supervisor and hopefully get the truth soon. Or tomorrow.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    So - someone has wrong information. Who? Not sure.

FLOW CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    HFC customers can upgrade to GPON. Unfortunately we can't do that over the phone - check in the store.

FLOW STORE
    GPON is only available in remote areas where there is no HFC. Customers with HFC will not be able to upgrade to GPON.

So I'm waiting on customer service to get to a supervisor and hopefully get the truth soon. Or tomorrow.
    Yes their internal messaging is wrong. When they are not actively promoting it the reps will know less.
    Customer support is probably correct though as my area has both GPON and HFC even though my area in Kingston does not have Major HFC issues.

I do know that all new build outs will be GPON and as TechGT said areas where copper theft is high will be replaced with GPON. I assume one way HFC plants will be replaced with GPON as well.

I see no reason why someone should not be able to Change from HFC to GPON. I suspect the most likely reason is that there is no internal process for that to happen yet.

flow has been trying to get me to click on a personally identifiable link for a few weeks now but mama didnt raise no fool. whatever data collection they are doing is not of any value to me.