Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLOW Fixed Line Woes

Default FLOW Fixed Line Woes

I use Flow's Triple Play bundle for Internet, cable and telephone. My fixed line telephone plugs into an Arris modem. For the past week, the phone lights on the modem have been off and my telephone displays 'No line'. I am thinking that either the phone service needs to be reactivated from Flow's office or I need a new modem. Has anyone in the group had a similar problem? If yes, what was the solution?

I am still waiting on Flow after reporting the problem 9 days ago and calling for an update several times since. The promise I have been getting since last Tuesday is 'Within 24-48 hours someone will call you'. I am still waiting. On one of my calls, I was transferred to six different persons, including at least two in Guyana. Is this a record?

I see a red light in the shape of a phone on my modem since maybe last week, dont recall, dont know if it went and came back but I saw it this morning again, 1st time someone pointed it out to me. Dunno what it means, don't care so long as I have internet.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Cloud Solutions. All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Dunce View Post
    I use Flow's Triple Play bundle for Internet, cable and telephone. My fixed line telephone plugs into an Arris modem. For the past week, the phone lights on the modem have been off and my telephone displays 'No line'. I am thinking that either the phone service needs to be reactivated from Flow's office or I need a new modem. Has anyone in the group had a similar problem? If yes, what was the solution?

I am still waiting on Flow after reporting the problem 9 days ago and calling for an update several times since. The promise I have been getting since last Tuesday is 'Within 24-48 hours someone will call you'. I am still waiting. On one of my calls, I was transferred to six different persons, including at least two in Guyana. Is this a record?
    you aren't alone - i just got back service last night after two weeks

flow business at work - crazy pings yesterday,
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Dunce View Post

Nope. Not a record. It's their MO. What you can do is this - they've recently moved their main number - 876-620-2200 - to a WhatsApp line. You can use that to get through to an agent and have a record of the conversation as a result. Their hours are 8-5 they claim, but the 8AM messaging doesn't always work - try from about 9AM. It's not much different than calling - expect wait times up to one hour, maybe more depending. Ensure you reply shortly after they respond (when they finally do). I had a wait of over an hour for an agent to reply - think I was driving - and then they disconnected in 5 minutes of no reply. But - this is how we SLOW.

I believe your assessment is correct. If you've power cycled the modem and still get no line, then you need to talk to them about it. Try their thing and see what happens. Let us know.
    -------------------------------------

You know. I had posted a reply to this. And my ISP ate it. Guess who? This is how we SLOW.

Fortunately the boards saved some of it. So go with what's there and let us know.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Nope. Not a record. It's their MO. What you can do is this - they've recently moved their main number - 876-620-2200 - to a WhatsApp line. You can use that to get through to an agent and have a record of the conversation as a result. Their hours are 8-5 they claim, but the 8AM messaging doesn't always work - try from about 9AM. It's not much different than calling - expect wait times up to one hour, maybe more depending. Ensure you reply shortly after they respond (when they finally do). I had a wait of over an hour for an agent to reply - think I was driving - and then they disconnected in 5 minutes of no reply. But - this is how we SLOW.

I believe your assessment is correct. If you've power cycled the modem and still get no line, then you need to talk to them about it. Try their thing and see what happens. Let us know.
    -------------------------------------

You know. I had posted a reply to this. And my ISP ate it. Guess who? This is how we SLOW.

Fortunately the boards saved some of it. So go with what's there and let us know.
    Having my own issues with them... the agent divulged that they're doing network upgrades. Maybe if they'd communicated this to their PAYING customers I'd have been far more understanding.

You know what? I need to share. Be back in a few - will edit this post with photos.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

You know what? I need to share. Be back in a few - will edit this post with photos.
    Here on stand-by! LOL

Was going edit but you replied. Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dtgh1176...CaoBfjoWa?dl=0

Full details in a minute.

*EDIT*
    So here's the details.

BUSINESS
    After this incident I feel sorry for Audley Shaw and his 8 million phone bill. Prior to actually seeing the bills for this incident and finding out how they operate - I thought he had some girl in Russia that he was calling. But - turns out it was legit.

So I do a lot of freelance IT work outside of my 9-5. One business person (and friend) decided to add me to their business CUG since they call me a lot for their IT stuff and I walk them through the things on the phone. One of the business persons went overseas for one weekend - they paid for roaming plans and extra data, and even sent messages to the account manager while overseas to add on more data. While there the person couldn't use the data services at all, which was no good as they needed to navigate using Google Maps to find their way around. So for the entire weekend what they did was use the hotel wireless and any other free wireless they could get - BK/KFC/ETC. Welcome back to Jamaica - phone bill with 90% of the charges being data and the rest being roaming - almost $500,000. Short by a few thousand dollars.

So the business is furious and after spending MONTHS with FLOW until they finally admitted they were wrong, the business says that the prepaid plans have gotten better and it makes sense to use that instead.

An FYI for persons on FLOW postpaid. It doesn't make sense. I had personal postpaid and it made no sense. Being on a business postpaid also made no sense. FLOW claims they pro-rate the bills so if you don't use the allotment you pay less - this is a lie. On both the business CUG and when I had my personal postpaid, regardless of being below the paid allotment, I've never seen a bill come to what the monthly fee should be - always more than what they say. And it always varies. But never the set amount.

Digicel postpaid is better from what I've heard, but I've never used it. Supposedly you pay the static figure and as long as you're within the allotments you're fine - and it rolls over. Not the case with the FLOW ones I've seen or used.

Anyways - so after getting that sorted, it's been a PITA to get FLOW to remove the numbers from being business postpaid CUG. They changed it to business prepaid CUG instead, and now after I get frustrated at having to pay for higher plans, I decided to take up the matter myself. Because I can't afford to pay for the really expensive plans continually. It makes no sense, and all of the nice newer plans are blocked from my phone since it's classed as a business number. So let's see what happens.

RESIDENTAL
    At home I've had varying issues. I've sent numerous PingPlotter links to them - which they've not used - and multiple test results. After getting frustrated I decided to nag and annoy. After some calling one supervisor took my advice and did tests - found it was a problem in the area with the SNR. It's been almost a month now and that's not fixed. And that's the recent issue. Prior to that I had to do a modem change and it took them almost a month with me nagging them daily to get back my static IP. I can't remotely access my PBX at home without that. But everyone in here that does networking should know - if you have a static lease assigned, it doesn't take 2 weeks for you to change the MAC attached to that lease. I had to get raw with them and start talking about their incompetence, the fact that I KNOW how the darn things work, and that some slacker in the relevant department isn't doing their job. And the fact that their supervisors don't call back - partly because they're either annoyed with me or afraid I'll make them feel inadequate about the job position they're in.

Both issues are there in the screenshots. I've tried to remove any surnames to "protect" the reps. But that's just how they are. FLOW is a POS company, and I don't mean Point Of Sale.

What I can't understand is this.......

JTC - TOJ - CWJ - LIME - FLOW

They've gone through so many changes and so much has happened. The current FLOW is not the original company. They're CWJ/LIME re-branded under the FLOW name since John Public associated good things with them. But one would expect that after the Liberty Global buyout, things would be doing better. It's not. The mobile network focus is nice, but they're doing nothing with the residential rollouts. They better hope Digicel doesn't come into my area or go islandwide with FTTH before they magically give something better.

I recently got called by a support person from within the US. We were discussing some remote support software that I have a license for, and we got into some ISP related stuff. I know technology overseas was going ahead - but then I got hit by some even more wonderful news. I'm paying for 60Mb I think it is. The cost of my service is what this guy is paying for a 500Mb connection at his home. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - knowing that maybe my great-great grandchildren may experience 100Mb at an affordable price some time soon.

IN CLOSING
    I had a discussion with a friend recently. It's not that the companies don't have capable persons. It's not that all the persons hidden behind the first line support are good at what they do. It's that the competent persons are doing incompetent work. And the incompetence is a result of miscommunication between the departmentalized structure of the organization.

My hope is - now that we have written evidence with the WhatsApp customer support contact - that we will be able to push things further as we'll have written evidence of what's going on. If they don't live up to their contractual obligations - you have written evidence that can be taken up in court or to the OUR if you don't want to get into the legal tussle.

I'm sorry for taking over the thread. My recommendation to the OP would be to ensure that there's a ticket number. Get in touch over WhatsApp so you have a record of what's going on. Take it higher as needed - demand a supervisor.
    Last edited by khat17; Dec 4, 2019 at 11:16 PM.

Was going edit but you replied. Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dtgh1176...CaoBfjoWa?dl=0

Full details in a minute.
    This looks painful! I also concur with your sentiment re Level 2 reaching out to technical customers... It'd save tonnes of time.

Frankly speaking... I'm at my witts end. All of this for a product that is fresh out of 2008... my modem decided to change its name today at random. Called in, agent was trying but -having not been the brightest bulb in the lamp- was not able to resolve the issue in a timely fashion. She did reveal that there was indeed an upgrade happening that has been ongoing for sometime... again, communication is key.

--Edit--

Yikes! It is the most upsetting when I see the raw deal we get from utilities here... it's actually distressing. However, I expect better from FLOW... they sing about their big deep pockets in Denver & Miami and riff about gigabit broadband being a driver of human development yet... here we are... at the end of 2019 with speeds fresh out of 2008. Mobile is great... because it's easy! Support our "hustle" and give us access to TRULY high speed broadband that isn't gonna break the bank and ROCK SOLID RELIABILITY, I BEG!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 4, 2019 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    This looks painful! I also concur with your sentiment re Level 2 reaching out to technical customers... It'd save tonnes of time.

Frankly speaking... I'm at my witts end. All of this for a product that is fresh out of 2008... my modem decided to change its name today at random. Called in, agent was trying but -having not been the brightest bulb in the lamp- was not able to resolve the issue in a timely fashion. She did reveal that there was indeed an upgrade happening that has been ongoing for sometime... again, communication is key.
    I'm going to buy an EdgeRouterX and put the modem in Bridged Mode. That should fix most of my issues. I already have Ubiquiti APs in my home and a cloud controller. I was just leaving their modem to do DHCP - but that's a bad idea. During the modem change I found out (the hard way) that you can't export/import settings between devices. It only works on the modem the data was exported from. Only problem with doing that is - their system has issues with the lease time for the MAC attached to the modem when in Bridged Mode. You just can't win with them. So if my EdgeRouterX goes down - I'm helically wrapped around an axis until their system releases the lease.