Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica Computer Society November Presentations

Default Jamaica Computer Society November Presentations

So I just checked the website of the JCS. http://www.myjcs.com/

They are advertising 2 sessions for November 2016.

One is a DevOps workshop on November 15. I am not a programmer so I will not be attending that one.

The second is a forum at the conference centre entitled "Empowering Business With Technology" from November 16 -17. I am likely to pass through that one.

I am not really sure what the DevOps one is about could be programming could be a thought leader pitch for some kinda product. seems pretty vague

Great turn out for day 1 of the conference yesterday. Let's see if day 2 is just as big.

Quote Originally Posted by 5dB View Post
    Great turn out for day 1 of the conference yesterday. Let's see if day 2 is just as big.
    Any highlights that you can share for those of us unable to be there?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

The event was well organized. The sessions started on time and ended close to on time. Registration was smooth.

Good networking event. I was able to reconnect with some contacts I haven't seen in a while. I made some new contacts.

You can see the brochure with the agenda at www.myjcs.com. The topics were kind of generic. Not that much for people who have been in the business a while. However, good, solid information for up and coming I.T. people. Especially those who plan to work in structured, corporate environments.

I learnt quite a bit about targeted digital advertising from the folks at Trend Media. The Sales Manager really worked the venue. I had the pleasure of meeting her during a break. Very bright and attractive lady. Yeah man.

They did an informative presentation on the evening of the second day. They explained how they generate advertisements that are targeted to specific audiences. Big brother is really watching you.

The JCS continues to impress me.

Re Trend Media, I caught the first part, and the last few minutes.
    It is really scary how much data your ISP and others have on you based on your IP address.
    Did they mention if they are a subsidiary of Digicel? I see that they are co-located.

More than scary. It is worse than you think. If you browse with your phone, they have your phone number.

Yes. The presenter said that they are a subsidiary.

What did you think of the overall management of the conference?

1) I am happy that it was held in Kgn, and not out of town. No hotel costs, cheaper for persons, since not all persons work for a large company to pick up that tab.
    2) With it in Kgn, they were able to give complimentary tickets to students. So on the first day in particular, a lot of sixth form schoolers were able to come and be exposed. Others from the tertiary level (including a group I teach at Vector Technology) were also able to attend. Maximum exposure.
    3) Having presenters like Nevada Powe (living the New York startup dream), and Peter Harrison (living the Silicon Valley dream) showed that we have the talent to go anywhere and make it. Nevada is a real dynamic presenter. Added the Wow Factor.
    4) Some presenters were good, others average.
    5) The lunch numbers was not properly sorted out. But a reasonable explanation - having your confirmed numbers double 24 hrs before the event will throw out any catering arrangement.

I give a good passing grade to the JCS. Looking out for the next one.

Did anyone else go to the BIZTech Conference this week?
    What did you think of this years presentations?

No not this time. How was it?