Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TeamViewer Alternatives

Default TeamViewer Alternatives

So I had purchased a TV license previously. It is still one of the best remote assistance apps available now, but the new licensing model with no option for perpetual version license is...................difficult. Also, with my own personal experience where I purchased a license, then in less than 2 months the new version came out - giving me a WHOPPING 10% or 15% discount - that was the first step away from the platform for me.

So after MUCH digging around I've found and tested a few things. Still - looking for any alternatives that could be suggested by my fellow TJ members. Here is my list.

UltraViewer
    I use it all the time to install TV11 where smart clients upgrade to 12/13. It's small, light, free.

AMMYY
    I've also used this from time to time for the same reason as UV. Very small. Has issues with some AV programs though. Free version available. Extremely cheap in comparison to the others. No option to upgrade license however.

DameWare
    Admins should know this. Problem I have is it doesn't seem to have a "zero-config" option like the others. I emailed them and I'm waiting.

CouldBerry
    This looks good, but I've not used it or tested to say how well it works.

DualDesk
    This - much like CloudBerry - also looks good. Pricing seems reasonable for one-time purchase. But I've not used it.

RemoteUtilities
    This seems to be another good option. Similar deployment like TV, but no mobile app available. In the use I've given it - most of the features are there. No shared clipboard or drag-and-drop but it does have a file transfer option. Upgrade is available.

-----------------------------------

Really what I'm looking for is something that gives me most (if not all) the functions of TeamViewer. That's a tall order, but I'll be fine with the following:

• "Zero Config"
    • Portable (optional)
    • Customizable (optional)
    • Upgrade Path

If there's any other thing that you can suggest please let me know.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

These are the ones I have been trialing recently. You can check them out and see if they suit your needs:
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Any of the VNC variants work nicely. The issue is the "zero config" aspect. I've purchased RemoteUtilities and so far it's not bad.

PROS
    • Digitally signed installers (including custom installers).
    • Upgrade path to higher version.
    • Shared clipboard (but no copy/paste files).
    • File transfer (though no copy/pate method).
    • Free upgrades to major versions if released within 12 months of purchase.
    • Major updates beyond 12 months = 50% off.
    • AD support for domain deploying.
    • Address book function.

CONS
    • Address book limitation for lower versions.
    • Can't copy/paste directly or drag/drop from partners.

There's a lot more for both, but the pros outweigh the cons IMO. Worth it at ~$100 to start and about $500 for the biggest license. As a single tech that's great - as a company with multiple techs it's still great. If you're small and starting out then it can be priced and negotiated.

TBH - I don't think anything will come close to TeamViewer for now. They've effectively held the market as the de-facto standard and have done GREAT development. The next best thing I think would be AnyDesk as it's done by ex-TeamViewer personnel. But it's STILL SUBSCRIPTION!!!!!

I have nothing against it, but these people seem to have a Jamaican mentality. Check it.

OLD PLAN = $1,500 for perpetual license.
    NEW PLAN = $150 per month (billed yearly) which is $1,800.

Now if you have as massive a user-base as they do, why the ram not make it like $10 monthly for small people like myself and corporate be like $50-$100 monthly? You don't even have to go that far - the amount of people that would just jump on it for the cheaper rate - they would have FAR MORE CLIENTS if you ask me. Volume of customers versus the killing on the few. But no.............Jamaican mentality. Anyways.

Back on topic - I think they should have made the perpetual license a think for older versions (like 2-3 versions behind) and you can't upgrade the perpetual license until they move forward. You have the option to go to the subscription if you want, but it's not mandatory. That would have been a better move. Can't even add-on the mobile support here now to my license. Wicked. Anyways. If DameWare gets back to me and I find an easy way to deploy then great. RemoteUtilities gives you a portable version - install version - run once version without admin rights needed. Aside from a few things that TeamViewer spoiled me to, there's no reason to not spend the little and go with them. Customized logo and digitally signed files? Can't really ask for much else. Just maybe more address book entries.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

What do you mean by zero-config?

Yeah, RemoteUtilities is the one I also really like for features and price as well.

Didn't know AnyDesk was developed by an ex-TV developer. Interesting.

Our choice would be TeamViewer as that is what we use in office along with RDP. But I have been reading a few little complaints here and there why I decided to search for an alternative before giving money over to TV. RemoteUtilities was the best choice. Only con is no mac support...as yet.
    Will just have to find a work around for that. Maybe using RDP.

By "Zero-Config" I mean the client side being able to just download/install and either you get alerted about the support need, or you can be provided with an ID/PW. So far I've not seen that in DameWare Remote Support. Would love if it could do so - because DameWare is good stuff. But will be doing more testing to find the perfect replacement. So far RemoteUtilities is good.

Bomgar is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Bomgar is another option.
    Not at $1,995 a year for 1 concurrent license, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Not at $1,995 a year for 1 concurrent license, it isn't.
    You don’t really believe everyone is paying that price, and just for one CAL, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    You don’t really believe everyone is paying that price, and just for one CAL, do you?
    Not sure what you're asking...or saying. They have other pricing other than $2k a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post

Yeah, RemoteUtilities is the one I also really like for features and price as well.
    RemoteUtilities was the best choice.
    How is the response speed for RemoteUtilities ? Is it as fast as TeamViewer or SplashTop ?
    I recommend Ubuntu