Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New: 45.80% duty on cellphone imports!

Default New: 45.80% duty on cellphone imports!

For those planning to purchase a new cellphone on Black Friday or during the upcoming Christmas holidays just brace yourself for the increase duties on cellphone imports as announced by Jamaica Customs

PEOPLE importing mobile phone will be charged duties amounting to 45.8 per cent, whether received as a gift or purchased, Jamaica Customs Agency has said.

Customs, in a release, said the duty structure for mobile phones is:

• Import Duty - 20%
    • General Consumption Tax - 25%
    • Environmental Levy - 0.5%
    • Standard Compliance Fee - 0.3%

According to Jamaica Customs, the above charges are calculated on the Cost, Insurance & Freight value, noting that a Customs Administrative Fee is also applicable to the clearance of goods.
    Read More

I'm curious what they do with the "environmental levy" because they surely don't use it to clean the environment. Also, what's that "standard compliance fee" for? It's all a money grab IMHO.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

This is why you should not feel bad to find legal means to avoid government taxes. I was once advised by a wealth manager to structure my business to take advantage of "treaty shopping" via a CARICOM member that signed double taxation treaty. I went against it saying I want to contribute taxes to my country but now I'm feeling pretty dumb and will rectify that.

Sorry for those people in the market for a new phone.

I understand the import duty as a "barrier to entry".
    I do NOT agree with having a GCT as the phones were NOT bought nor made here. One already paid taxes to the country of origin already (during original purchase). That should not need to be paid a second time in Jamaica.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

I went to America to work for the summer and used the money i made there to purchase a phone, when i came back to Jamaica they tried to charge me for my phone. What kind of rubbish is that?
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    I understand the import duty as a "barrier to entry".
    The origination of import/custom duties was for countries to reduce the amount of goods imported that would DIRECTLY compete with goods produce in that country. It was typically used when the imported goods were also manufactured/grown in the target country, and in other cases to restrict the importation quantities of goods that would put a burden on the country. As far as I know, there's no mobile phone being manufactured in Jamaica, nor am I aware of how the proliferation of personally imported mobile phones would damage the Jamaican economy. It's all a money grab by the Govt. Simple.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's all a money grab by the Govt. Simple.
    If we don't stand up for our beliefs, then they can continue to collect.
    Who protects our "rights"?
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    If we don't stand up for our beliefs, then they can continue to collect.
    Who protects our "rights"?
    Unfortunately there's not much that can be done other than by powerful private sector companies lobbying the Govt.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I think it is some of these same Private Sector Companies "Lobby" the government to impose taxes of stuff like these to protect their business of selling phones etc.
    The whole thing needs to be revamped though.

Side note wasn't this in place before and the previous Government removed it?
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500