Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just launched - iPhone XS, iPhone XS MAX, iPhone XR

The naming convention seems wack and I seem to be fatigued trying to figue out what these new phones do that the previous versions didnt. Apple keeps dropping multiple versions of the same phone to confuse people into spending more and more money. Their monopoly needs to be destroyed at some point. its pretty annoying despite the innovations they bring. Smartphones are glorified instagram players nowadays. What I'd like to know is if I buy a new iphone do I have to sign in with apple just to use it? I would rather not have a appleID at all.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    The naming convention seems wack and I seem to be fatigued trying to figue out what these new phones do that the previous versions didnt. Apple keeps dropping multiple versions of the same phone to confuse people into spending more and more money. Their monopoly needs to be destroyed at some point. its pretty annoying despite the innovations they bring. Smartphones are glorified instagram players nowadays. What I'd like to know is if I buy a new iphone do I have to sign in with apple just to use it? I would rather not have a appleID at all.
    I agree with you but what monopoly? They don't have a monopoly on smartphones, laptops or desktops. Their wall garden ecosystem is what keeps the devoted fans coming back and religiously spending copious amounts of cash why they do what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    ... Their wall garden ecosystem is what keeps the devoted fans coming back and religiously spending copious amounts of cash why they do what they do.
    Hey, that's no way to talk about me!
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Well when they release a mediocre 720p Screen for $750, in an era where even $200 phones provide 1080p + 18:9 screens is a joke. And the funniest bit is that people are still gonna buy it becuase they slapped the moniker "Liquid Reatina Display" onto it as if its new technology. I have to shake my head at Apple fans. I can understand the appeal to their software ecosystem tho.

You can fully use it without an Apple ID, but should you plan on installing apps, or updating apps, you will need one. If you just want to use the apps that come already loaded, those get updated only with OS updates, so you're fine there.

You just have to pay close attention when setting up to avoid the login requirements. Set Up Later is your friend.
    The biggest irritation is they require a SIM be in the slot (even if not active) and you have to turn on WiFi to setup if you have no data service active on that SIM.

@mista736 interesting info been wondering if its possible. what about pop3 email and such? what can you actually do without downloading apps? people in a monoply often do not realise they are being exploited. it is only going to get worse as the ecosystem closes up and apple gets bolder. pretty soon esim will be the only way to hookup the phone.

what about pop3 email and such? what can you actually do without downloading apps?
    Yes, you can setup POP3 and/or IMAP email accounts and use the bundled/built-in/standard email app without an Apple ID.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

@mista736 interesting info been wondering if its possible. what about pop3 email and such? what can you actually do without downloading apps? people in a monoply often do not realise they are being exploited. it is only going to get worse as the ecosystem closes up and apple gets bolder. pretty soon esim will be the only way to hookup the phone.
    Honestly, barring jailbreaking, if you want to break out of Apple's ecosystem, you'd have to install some apps. Otherwise, your only means of escape is what e-mail, contacts, calendar etc you sync to.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    You can fully use it without an Apple ID, but should you plan on installing apps, or updating apps, you will need one. If you just want to use the apps that come already loaded, those get updated only with OS updates, so you're fine there.

You just have to pay close attention when setting up to avoid the login requirements. Set Up Later is your friend.
    The biggest irritation is they require a SIM be in the slot (even if not active) and you have to turn on WiFi to setup if you have no data service active on that SIM.
    The SIM dictates the locking policy of the phone. All iPhones come at minimum "Universal" i.e. unlocked until activated. SIMs reflect the carrier to be activated which iPhone sends to Apple which then returns to iPhone the locking policy of the phone if universal. This isn't so with unlocked/SIM-free iPhones. They're whitelisted by Apple.

POP3? Oh no... We only do Microsoft Exchange! LOL no but seriously, the world is your oyster as it relates to built-in Mail on iPhone & Mac. I prefer it to all other clients. What's best is MSFT Exchange & its Push E-Mail features which can show up on your iPhone lockscreen for reply immediately, Continuity on Mac or on Apple Watch. There's no other system in the world that affords such deep integration like it. In fact, the "ecosystem" is more open than ever. Siri Shortcuts and Siri Suggestions alone dig deep into apps and allow users to send WhatsApp messages without even touching the phone, doing your most frequent actions from the suggestions page like "Go to Scotia Mobile Banking" or "Dial The Office" and Play your favourite songs on your Apple Music based on the time of day, location & other data history stored ON device. You guys won't give Apple any props because you're busy bawling down the price.