Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable vs Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    To all

How often does the Digicel Play external IP change?
    My Digicel Play is configured with an external IP address in PPPoE mode and it recycles every 48 hours. Not everyone is set up this way though so YMMV.

Are you doing any port forwarding? If so, got any tips?

Are you doing any port forwarding? If so, got any tips?
    Although I'm bypassing it now, prior to this I have used Digicel's router for port forwarding. Worked fine. Their equipment supports UPnP but I set up the forwarded ports manually. It also supports DMZ so you can just send everything to a system on your network as well.

Those results look...erratic. Is that typically what you are seeing at all times of the day? I'm curious, do local speed tests (e.g. Speedtest.net) show the same result? Also, is that a wired connection or are you on WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    Those results look...erratic. Is that typically what you are seeing at all times of the day? I'm curious, do local speed tests (e.g. Speedtest.net) show the same result? Also, is that a wired connection or are you on WiFi?
    Yep. Pretty consistent so far. Am wired. Wasn't this bad with Flow. Waiting to hear for tech.

https://pasteboard.co/HAIW7Fq.png

Yep. Pretty consistent so far. Am wired. Wasn't this bad with Flow. Waiting to hear for tech.

https://pasteboard.co/HAIW7Fq.png
    A Speedtest.net test to a Digicel server in Kingston should never look like that so something is definitely off with your connection. Hopefully their networking team can sort it out quickly.

Here are the results from a couple of tests I did a short while ago. The download speed in these is slightly lower than what it should be because some bandwidth is being reserved for QOS purposes.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7579598831
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/37697840.png
    http://openspeedtest.com/results/23053188

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    When power goes I still have internet. My Flow modem is plugged into a UPS...
    Your modem being plugged into a UPS means nothing if the node/s you're connected to have no backup. You're one of the luckier ones. To put it in perspective - I have a 1500VA UPS at home on my equipment. Where I lived before (less than 10 minutes drive from where I live now) whenever there was a power cut I'd still have net. Now where I live once it burps the Internet goes down for 1-2 minutes for the node/s to reboot.

Your issue may need a tech. But I don't think it will improve your ping. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Digicel is actually buying/renting bandwidth from FLOW - and FLOW allows it because they make money either way. What they do to mess with Digicel is the way the traffic is routed - so even though it's a FTTH connection you have higher ping than if you were on the FLOW network. Speeds are smashingly good though - usually.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Your modem being plugged into a UPS means nothing if the node/s you're connected to have no backup. You're one of the luckier ones. To put it in perspective - I have a 1500VA UPS at home on my equipment. Where I lived before (less than 10 minutes drive from where I live now) whenever there was a power cut I'd still have net. Now where I live once it burps the Internet goes down for 1-2 minutes for the node/s to reboot.

Your issue may need a tech. But I don't think it will improve your ping. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Digicel is actually buying/renting bandwidth from FLOW - and FLOW allows it because they make money either way. What they do to mess with Digicel is the way the traffic is routed - so even though it's a FTTH connection you have higher ping than if you were on the FLOW network. Speeds are smashingly good though - usually.
    My ping with Digicel is always like 4ms

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post

I would think this is a routing issue as even with a local speedtest his results are off as well and the uploads are fine.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500